Oh .204Ruger! How Do I Love Thee!

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Let me count the ways!:

Here are 342 (yards) ways, that require only "top edge" hold over, that blob used to be a living woodchuck...

attachment.php

Oh, and that's not just 342, it's right handed, pulling the trigger with the left hand, shielding eyes from the sun with the right. :D

Here is 40-ish (yards) ways, left handed, off-hand, not having to aim low because it's so high to get to 342:
attachment.php

Low recoil, low (for a center fire) muzzle blast, economic reloading, "laser" flat, oh yes, I do love thee! :D

Here she is, what a beauty!
attachment.php

Attachments

• Scope.JPG
    Scope.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 815
  • Chuck.JPG
    Chuck.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 727
  • Gun1.jpg
    Gun1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 2,929
Last edited:
You'd pass out then at a 20 Dasher. I have a 20 practical in an AR and it's the bee's knees on dog towns, the Dasher is for long range work, 600+

20 Practical is essentially identical to .204 and the Dasher, well, I'd rather spend my time shooting than forming cases. Besides which, the Dashers recoil is FAR greater than .204 and I don't have 600 yards to shoot.

I too have an ongoing love affair with the .204---mine is in a Ruger number one, topped with a Bushnell 3x9---the distances you can shoot with this caliber are amazing---I have mine sighted in at 100 yet you can go out and see something clear accross the field, coyote, ground hog, crow or whatever and nail it. Flatist shooting round I've ever seen---John

That load is 28.0gr Benchmark under 32gr V-Max.
Only gets to 4,035 fps (which is what factory ammo does in this gun) but it's scary accurate. Under 1/2 MOA.
One of these days I'll get around to finding a load that gets closer to 4,200.

Brian,

What is your scope zeroed at, and what kind of real trajectory do you have?

Got rid of a .204 about a year ago, and have been sorry ever since.

You have re-peeked my interest.

Back