officers slugs deflected by cell phone and sheath knife

bamaranger

I read the sad account of the murder of a PA WCO (game warden) today and in the text it stated that the some of the officers return fire slugs were deflected by a cell phone and a sheath knife.

Can anyone advise what caliber, make and model a Pa. WCO would be issued and what the load might have been?

That is really interesting. I would not think that a cell phone would do anything to deflect a bullet. Unless it was a Nokia 3310.
I could understand a quality sheath knife throwing a bullet off.
That is a very good question about what was used. Wonder what caliber.

My prayers and condolences to this officers family.

Condolences to the officers family. There is at least 1 "bullet proof" cellphone case I am aware of, from Marudai in Japan. There is a YouTube video showing it hit by a .50 BMG and surviving the hit, but breaking the screen when it landed.
$650 and it appears to add about 3/4" to the depth of an iPhone.

Vestguard makes a Kevlar iPad cover as do a few others for smart phones.

Conversely it could have been the layering sandwich of outer case, aluminum shell, battery, PCB, IC's , structural supports, LCD, touchpad and screen protector.

Last edited:
"Deflect" and "stop" are two very different actions. A mere twig will deflect a rifle bullet but won't stop it. It doesn't take much to deflect, or change the course of, a bullet.

"Deflect" and "stop" are two very different actions. A mere twig will deflect a rifle bullet but won't stop it. It doesn't take much to deflect, or change the course of, a bullet

In Africa I had a twig deflect my .338 Swift A-Frame bullet, missing my trophy bull. The twig was close to me, if it were close to the target it wouldn't have mattered as much. If the twig were on the target it wouldn't have mattered period. Deflections happen all the time, especially so if you do not see the object in the way.

Back