Officer's Model Match????

sgtmaj13

I've just obtained a Colt Officer's Model Match 22cal w/4" Barrel SerNo. 731XX. I'm concerned because I have been led to believe that this model didn't begin until SerNo. 900XX, the barrel's finish is much more worn than the frame and cylinder, and it's a 4" bull instead of 6" tappered. Has the barrel been switched? The frame and crane SerNo.'s match and they and the cylinder have a finish that is excellent + and there are no patient marks on the barrel. The action reminds me of a 60's Python. Could this be oringinal or have I been stung????
Thanks,
SgtMaj13

Many here are more Colt savvy than I but it sounds like a replacement barrel to me. What books I have indicate the .22 should have the 6" barrel.

Hope I wrong.

Sam

The model marking for the Colt is on the barrel, so your I assume your barrel in stamped "Officers Model Match." These target revolvers were based on the Officers Model series and serial numbers are pretty mixed-up with these. The OM was the father of the Python so the resemblence is not accidental.

But I think that there were never 4" barrels offered on the Officers Model Target/Match pistols. I suspect that it is more likely that the barrel on your gun has been shortened at some point for some unknown reason. Maybe the muzzle was damaged or perhaps a previous owner wanted a handier carry gun.

IMO these are the very best service revolvers ever made. Sounds like you have a great shooter but due to the wear on the finish and the modified barrel not much collector interest. They only want pristine guns and I say they can have them. Give a good shooting pistol any day.

I've had two OMM - - -

- - - And my son has an Officers Model Special. All have had the lettering on the barrel pretty well centered between where barrel screws into frame and the muzzle. If YOUR markings are well toward muzzle end, I'd bet good money the barrel has been shortened.

FWIW, Colt offered the Trooper model in both .22 and .38 Spl, in four and six inch, to begin with. Later, they rolled the "Colt .357" model production into the Trooper series and all were so marked. I assume your four-inch IS marked OMM on the barrel, right? Because if it isn't, possibility exists that someone put a Trooper .22 barrel on your frame, having removed the Trooper markings.

Another, smaller but still distinctly possible, alternative, is that you have a special-order gun there. Long before the advent of the Colt Custom Shop, they would provide special-order stuff at a very nominal price. IF yours is marked "Officers Model Match," with caliber, and the markings are centered, it would surely be worth some research. Colt factory letters are getting pretty expensive, but they will often answer questions by phone, to tell you whether or not it would be worthwhile to pay for a letter.

Suggest you go to
http://63.241.174.172/colt/html/i2b2_researchablemod.html
and branch out from there.

Let us know what happens, huh?

Best,
Johnny Guest

Back