Off-topic, but I need your help

Hueco

Hey everyone. Doubtless, there are at least a few law enforcement officers on this board. I am 18 years old, and faced with a decision of my major in college for next year. I am seriously considering a degree in criminal justice to become a detective on the local level. Any direction, guidence, and assitance that you could pass along to me would be greatly appreciated. I do apologize for posting this off-topic thread, but this is, I feel, an excellent resource for me to acquire some information. Thank you. Merry Christ*mas!!

Hueco

AJ as a major may help in landing a job, but I don't really think it'll help with getting promotions or moving ahead in your career. Heck, apart from the basic academy and classes offered at some academy (all of which are college accredited), I've never taken a college AJ course in my life (and never will). Even with my Masters' it wasn't easy to get a promotion. If its plainclothes work you seek, go with accounting or computer science. Virtually any type of science background will put you in demand. The Feds (FBI, IRS) will be happy to hire you with that type of background. If you get tired of LE, it's nice to know you have career alternatives.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Moving to Gen'l for better exposure

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Hueco,

A standard greeting at orientation in the NYPD used to include an admonition, "Gentlemen, welcome to the NYPD you have twenty years to find a new job".
My suggestion is you take at the outset a general set of courses in college. Be sure to include a heavy dose of computer courses in the mix! Suppose after 5 or 10 years in LE you decide to leave or God forbid you are injured what then? With a good educational background you have a great many more choices in life.
Promotion is generally not based on your course of studies in college unless job specific.
IMHO get a well rounded education and you'll be far better off. Good luck and God bless!

Let me say the degree I received in CJ or Administration of Justice at the school I attended, did nothing for me for promotion or moving to the DB. I think that several CJ classes would help you as well as many computer classes you can take. A good mix resulting in what is called Liberal Arts will serve you the best.

There are many PD's that say they want their officers to have degrees but then under use those with a degree or degrees.

Good Luck.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

I'm not an LEO but....
advise is Free..So,Go heavy on the computers,
most police work starts with computer searches.
As to that bit about "Welcome to the NYPD.
You have 20 years to find a new job."
I have this to offer:You may want to get a Federal Firearms License if you have or can get a commercial location to opperate from.
But,since you cant sell guns from an empty store, you will need 12K start up cash for inventory. You may need another 12K, if you rent your store at 1k per month.

Just a sugestion for an alternate or back up source of income, or if as a LEO
you get tired of risking your life with the
bad guys.

A new class 1 (semi autos only) FFL
sells for 200.oo for 3 years and takes
around 10 months to be approved.Subsequent
renewals are 90.oo for 3 years. You should also consider 12k to 16 k for gun shop libility insurance.

So, if you have or can save or can raise 36k ,you can own a gun shop.
On the other hand , I started my gun shop 15 years ago with only 1500.oo to my name. If you want to know more ,my email is in the profile.

I knew I could count on you guys for some guidence! Thank you very much!!! So from what I hear, a major in CJ or AJ with a minor on Computer Science would be the way to go? or just a major in CS and forget the AJ/CJ? Thanks again.

Hueco

Forget the AJ classes! Go strictly computers or business. Something with a future. LE will be happy to hire you even though your BA says Computer Science or Business or Accounting. Like Path suggested, a well rounded education will get you further in life.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I remember a Prof telling the class, somewhere around my senior year in engineering, "Your degree means you know what books to look in."

I took advanced calculus, nuclear physics, and nuclear reactor design as electives. I never had a job where these were really necessary as part of the job. They have, from time to time, helped me to understand "the issues" in political discussions.

What I learned from courses in chemistry, internal-combustion engine design, metallurgy, and machine design helped my amateur sports car racing.

I started out with a Mechanical Engr degree; worked at Chevrolet Test Lab. One year later, went to work for the City of Austin, Tx, Elec Dept, learning the overhead distribution system--and cable TV installation needs. After a little over a year, I wound up becoming a civil engineer, becoming pretty knowledgeable about dams and reservoirs, canals and pump stations, and pipeline construction with the Texas Water Development Board--11 years' worth.

The point of all this is that you never know how life itsownself is gonna turn out. You'll never know what part of your education will be the most helpful. I agree with the advice above about a well-rounded general education, with extra emphasis on computers and maybe some business courses.

Regardless, I think young folks today have far more opportunities and good choices than ever before in the history of the world. It seems like everytime I turn around, I see something else where I could have fun making money. Opportunities everywhere! You're only limited by your imagination and your "get up and get after it".

Best luck!

Well, since you're looking for working at the local level, this might not help, but I know the Feds were looking for people like me when I was near the end of my undergrad career, mainly because I spoke German fluently (this was in 1992).

Disqualified flat out because of my vision. Waah.

My DM0,03 on the matter.
jth

------------------
"And a Cartridge in a Bare Tree..."

Hueco-
I graduated with a B.A. in English (with a few crim. justice classes thrown in) and have found that being able to write has helped my career tremendously. Being able to write clearly/logically is very important in law enforcement. As a detective on the local level I have found that for every two hours I spend on the street conducting investigations or making arrests, I end up with four to five hours of paperwork back at my desk. A side benefit to writing clear, detailed reports is that you don't spend too much time in court. Good luck!

------------------
El Cid '89

Umm, by all means take college courses. In anything except Criminal Justice.

You'll get all the Criminal Justice hours you want during your annual Continuing Ed courses.

Get a degree in something that will keep you and your family fed if you should a)burn out, b)get fired, c)get burned out, sued AND fired, or (God forbid) d)something should happen to you that renders you unable to perform the duties expected.

LawDog

Back