Off to the GUn Show...need advice!

gdhillard

I'm off to the gun show in Barre, Vermont, this weekend. I want to look at S+W snubbies in .375 and .44. Any suggestions? What is the difference between a 66 and a 686? A mountian Gun and other .44s? WIsh me luck, and give me a bit of guidance, please. Thanks, Gary

A Smith & Wesson in .375 would be interesting.... BOOM!

Model 66 is a smaller K frame and weighs about 37 ounces (four inch gun). The model 686 is a larger L frame, weight is about 38 ounces (four inch gun) and the PLUS is a 7 shot wheel, one more than the model 66 Combat Magnum. New for 2001 is a 686 Mountain Gun (stocking dealers only). The even larger 44 Magnum comes in the form of a N frame and these monsters weigh in at about 42 ounces. The Mountain Gun version is a bit less, about 39 ounces. There are .357 Magnum N frames, referred to as a 627, but are very limited Performance Center guns and command prices about $250 more than a standard production gun. What you desire is all going to depend on what you wish this gun to do. And that we do not know.

Good luck, with the economy slowing a bit, show sellers are more inclined to negotiate. Lots of good deals to be had.

Robert

My advice:
Go late in the day when they don't want to have to pack everything up.
Take cash.
Act stupid and let them explain everything about the gun to you. You may acquire some info you would not if they thought you knew something.

A couple of suggestions: 1. If you must have a S&W get a used one. 2. In .44 mag a Ruger Redhawk is a stronger and smoother gun than a Mod 29, I have one of each. Don't forget to check out the Ruger SP101 and GP100 when looking at .357's either.

WESHOOT2
Green Mountain! They have guns there? I thought all of Mad River had been taken over by Anti's from the big cities. The Ski crowd!

Jeff

Quote: "In .44 mag a Ruger Redhawk is a stronger and smoother gun than a Mod 29". Ya, Ruger's are about as smooth as Hitlery is pro gun. Not in your wildest dreams!

Robert

Thanks for the input! I'll look for the Green Mountian booth. Sorry about the switch on ".375". I also switched on ".44", but nobody noticed. Thanks, Gary

Don't forget the S&W 696 - an L-frame 5 shot 44 special. If you like the heavy slow bullet over the light fast bullet, then a 44 special will fit you to a T, and it comes with a 3" barrel, making it smaller than a typical 686.
The new Taurus guns are intriging, but I haven't ought one yet.

Robertthe41MagFan, you haven't seen my Redhawk. The DA pull is well under 10 pounds and the SA pull is about 3, if that much. I have a slicked model 19 from 1966 that isn't as smooth as my Redhawk nor are my 686, 25-2, and 625-2. I have yet to see a Python that will match it, though the smith that did mine did a really nice Python for another guy. I have a friend in Ca. from another board that was totally amazed at the gun and wanted to buy it. If you email me I can send you Don OTMW's email address or you can contact him on ShootersTalk.

Rt41MF,

I have four Redhawks. We did a 'blind test' when I picked it up (ordered fresh for me) with about 10 other 44 wheels; 629's, Taurus, Anaconda, Wesson, and a S&W PC.
My gu won the DA portion (and didn't win the SA part LOL).

The Mad River is in my back yard, so I'd say the anti's have to listen to fairly regular gunfire.

gdhillard,

I'll be in the booth Sunday with some of my Redhawks and GP100's (yes, all are IPSC-ready!)

Jeff OTMG--a little under ten pounds DA and three pounds SA?? AFTER gunsmithing?? The sad thing is, that's AS GOOD AS IT GETS with the Rugers...the Smiths, now...oh, they can be SO MUCH BETTER!!! If you really have a "slicked Model 19" that ISN'T that good, take it back to the "slicker" and demand a re-work or a refund!! Mrs. 3-5-7 has a Lou Ciamillo-tuned 19 that goes SEVEN pounds DA...and goes "BANG" every time!!! And, she won't let ANYBODY touch it...well, except when I'm given the PRIVELEGE of cleaning it, of course..."Uncle Lou" also did a 686 for me...goes about seven and a half DA...never a misfire...think I'll keep it...BTW, that's his "duty action"...couldn't STAND one of his "full target" jobs...I'd be RUINT for everything ELSE!!!....mikey357

From a slightly different perspective......

I prefer the Ruger DA pull. I really do NOT like the way the K-, L-, and N-frame DA trigger feels, all stunted and weirdly toy-like.
Lighter, yes, but not 'better'.

As for the SA trigger, well, I must admit I've never ever ever felt a Ruger SA that felt like a Smith'.
My wife's M38 SA is the proverbial "glass rod"; pressure without seeming to move breaks the trigger. Unreal.

And many years ago I owned a M67 (got stolen not sold) that would trip the trigger at under 33oz. Absolutely unbelievable feel; apply pressure without any sense of movement, and the trigger would break. Also unreal.

But all of MY wheels are Rugers.

Back