Off to Africa

Well, preparations are almost completed. I leave Thursday night for Atlanta and catch a Friday morning flight for the Republic of South Africa. From there, a day of rest, then off to Nelspruit on the border of Kruger Park.

14 days of hunting at Engonyameni with hosts Danie and Karen Van Graan. Those of us lucky enough to make the trip will assist Colonel Cooper in celebrating his 80th birthday in the hunting fields! It should be a memorable occasion indeed.

I will be toting the Steyr Scout, a Glock 29 and the Mad Dog Bayou Hunter #001 (a most generous gift from Kevin McClung). Ammunition will consist of Federal 180gr Woodley Weldcore .308's and Georgia Arms 180gr Gold Dot 10mm's. I had hoped to be testing Randy Garret's 45-70 offerings in a modified Marlin breakdown action built by Ashley Emerson and David Cole. Unfortunately, Ashley trashed the barrel last week after trying everything under the sun to get it to shoot properly given Marlin's infuriating habit of stamping "Warning" messages into the thinnest areas of their octagonal barrels. Needless to say, a new barrel has been commisssioned....but the 45-70 will not be going along to Africa.

We will be hunting primarily for plains game, though there is no scarcity of heavy rifles should the opportunity present for such additional hunt. The laptop and cyberspace remain at home; TFL in DC and Staff's capable hands. Pictures and narrative are sure to follow on my return circa May 15.
Rich Lucibella

Good hunting!

And don't cram yourself so full of antelope and all that sort of yummy that you, yourself become extra baggage!

smile.gif
, Art

I'm so jealous I could just.. wish you the best time you can possibly have. Use enough gun and don't be afraid to shoot twice.

Dr.Rob

I'm proud of Rich, and envy the marvelous time that I know he'll have, but folks, I don't yet feel worthy of such an adventure in such company, and thus don't even feel overtly jealous. Strange...

Come back to us with fine reports and vivid pictures, friend!

Matt.

Rich, that's super ... have a great time! And, I know you'll greatly enjoy helping Col. Cooper savor this birthday.

Congratulations on having such moments to treasure. Have a safe trip, and take care.

Regards from AZ

Are you back? Please, regale.

------------------
"Anyone feel like saluting the flag which the strutting ATF and FBI gleefully raised over the smoldering crematorium of Waco, back in April of ‘93?" -Vin Suprynowicz

Hey, guys. I got back yesterday. Details will follow in a few days, once I get pictures developed. Here's some highlights:

I took Bushbuck, Red Duiker, Impala, Zebra, Kudu and Wildebest. With the exception of the Zebra, I was pretty satisfied with my shooting. Ranges were from 25 yards on the Duiker to 283 yards on the Wildebest.

Weapons of choice were the Steyr Scout in .308 and Pseudo Scouts in 30.06. While these got the job done, I've concluded that quick kills with the .308 on 600lb animals allow inadequate margin of error on the first shot. If one needs to put a wounded, running animal down with a "Texas Brain Shot", the .308 is not adequate and the 30.06 not optimal.

The landscape, scenery, accomodations and food were all first class. Our PH, Danie van Graan is now a friend for life: http://www.africanhunting.com/engonyam.htm
Trackers Gugwon, Elmond and Robert can track a mouse across granite...no kidding!

Our private celebration for Colonel Cooper's birthday was both historic and moving. It's hard to put it in words.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited May 17, 2000).]

Back