Off-Duty travel.. with or w/out?

Coop de Ville

Good morning all.

Will be driving to Northern Michigan with my G for a week. A couple days of camping and a wedding. I have always travelled with my duty weapon, but this time, I just don't feel like it. Will be taking a blade or two (small folder) and something else for camping.

Any thoughts? Do you guys always travel with your duty weapon?

Best and be safe. -Coop

Coop, . . . I'm not an LEO, matter of fact, I'm a minister.
At my secular job, I do not carry: employer's regulation.
At my church I do not carry: combination of higher power available and illegal in Ohio.
Almost every other place I go, it is with a sidearm, if it is legal to do so. It is a full size 1911.
I feel it is my duty and responsibility as the Lord has given me the talent and expertise to use it, has made it available to me, has made it legal for me, and there are just too many bg's between the here and now and the hereafter for my personal liking. Kinda like: do you take your Bible to church?, do you take your appetite to the Dairy Queen?, do you take your car to the gas station to get gas for it? If you answered yes to 2 out of 3 of those questions, then why wouldn't you take your sidearm?
From a personal standpoint, I would welcome you to carry through our state (if that is the route you are traveling), just be careful to make sure that the CCW from your state (Va?) is legal here in Ohio. Also remember that there are some quirks in the CCW law here in Ohio. One is that the driver, if armed, must display the weapon in a holster visible to any normal approach for an LEO who has stopped you: plus you may not touch it at all during the stop, it is a felony if you do so.
I figure that the more good guys carrying, . . . worse chance the bg's have.
May God bless,
Dwight

Thanks to all for the input.

I carry it with me 24/7 with no exceptions. My Girlfriend's parents are in Grand Rapids, which is where we will be staying most of the time. She and her parents are so far left that they're not even on the map! :)

I am the most conservative person you will ever meet. Don't ask why we happen to have a great relationship...

She has accepted my job (LEO) and the fact that I carry all the time. My dilemna is staying at her parent's place with my weapon. I am the type of person who will not volunteer the info.(don't ask don't tell). But, there's a good chance it may come up. I guess I am just the type who avoids conflict... (doesn't sound right coming from a cop, I know).

We'll be camping in or near Traverse City for a couple of days. It's taken me a year to get this week off from work (Metropolitan Dept. in DC) and I intend to relax every minute.

Take care and God bless, -Coop

At my church I do not carry: combination of higher power available and illegal in Ohio.
Almost every other place I go, it is with a sidearm, if it is legal to do so. It is a full size 1911.

You might want to think about a new line of work outside the religion area if you think that your higher power is only available in church, or in Ohio......

Grand Rapids is a very conservative area. It's too bad it isn't a bit larger, it could balance the leftist crap that pollutes the state from Detroit.

Bring warm clothes on your camping trip, it is starting to get cold at night. And make sure you drive up to see the bridge and buy some fudge. Enjoy our state, and by all means bring your Roscoe.

BTW, HR218 allows us coppers to carry in DC now, doesn't it?

Coop,

I would take the pistol, but when you go to the girlfriend's parents home or around them, lock it in the trunk. Don't mention it and it probably won't come up. When you're not with your girlfriend's parents, you can relax knowing you still have your insurance policy with you in case something happens. My in-laws know I carry all the time and seem to appreciate the fact that I am in law enforcement, but they have never been around guns and seem a little intimidated by them. So when I go to their house, I leave it in the trunk. A little respect goes a long ways. Just my two cents. I live in VA as well and I went to Michigan on business in February. The weather was miserable, but the people were first class. I would love to go back during this time of year. Be safe.

EKA

Believe it or not, DC has always honored other agencies from around the country. Most will tell you it's not true (even some of the LEOs) but it is. We have 50+ agencies within the District itself. Some Federal, some more like security... all are sworn. Our Dept. is Federally sworn and established as an act of Congress.... However, Good 'ol Chief has the authority to with hold our Federal powers. With the new Bill in place it only matters on aircraft. In theory we're supposed to have a Capt. or higher sign the waiver that lets us board. I work in the eastern portion on DC (East of the Anacostia... not a nice place). If you are LEO and visit PLEASE carry. If not, I won't tell ;)

Grand Rapids was nice last time I visited. It is a beautiful state and my girlfriend talks of moving back. If we end up getting hitched, I would consider the trek. Cost of living is a lot easier. Not happy about the gun laws there, but maybe they are improving... This city BS is becoming too much for me anyway.

Take care and thanks for the help, -Coop

I don't understand the problem. Carry and don't worry about it. If they know you'r profession, then they should understand. ;)

Back