Off duty officer has accidental discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky.223

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/18981307/gun-discharges-during-hug-kills-birthday-girl

I just read this article and am pretty concerned. How is this even possible and is it something that is a real possibility or a million to one longshot? there are a lot of unanswered questions after reading the article.
1. what model/type of gun
2. what type of holster
3. were there any modifications to the firearm
3. what condition was the gun carried

Can any of you think of a scenario that would produce an A.D. like this? I have children and am around others children and this exact situation has made me nervous about carring certain places.

The state of knowledge right now will lead to plenty of speculation.

Detroit mom questions how daughter shot during hug
By COREY WILLIAMS Associated Press
http://charter.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9VTKKA01@news.ap.org>&ps=931

.40-caliber handgun.
The Smith & Wesson M&P primarily was designed for police and military use. It does not have a safety switch, but the trigger has to be pulled back completely for the gun to fire, certified firearms instructor Rick Ector said.

The gun's angle also is at question, according to David Balash, a former Michigan State Police firearms examiner.

"What's going to be very important here is the angle of the entry of the wound to the victim (and) if there is in fact any gunpowder residue," Balash said. "I'm having a great deal of difficulty understanding how a weapon that's pointed at the ground can be turned literally 110 degrees minimum to be in an upward position to strike someone."

So the weapon in question was apparently a .40 S&W, Smith & Wesson M&P.

Assuming the handgun was in a holster on the officer's waist as stated in the article, several things need to be determined:
1) How did the trigger get pulled and who did it?
2) How did the weapon get pointed at the victim's heart?

Just speculating, but could have been a serpa type holster.

Recently had an AD at a local range during training when a LEO holstered his Glock into his serpa too aggressively. Could a "hug" mimic that? Could a "hug" get the pistol pointed rearwards, horizontally?

I know that Front Sight will not allow serpa-style holsters on their facility.

Says she hugged him from behind. Maybe he was off-duty or in plain clothes and carrying in a horizontal shoulder holster like a Miami Classic. Not enough info to speculate but the angle would be right for that type holster. More time should generate more info.........or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back