Odd Winchester Model 1906

remi315

Inactive
I am in need of help from someone who could possibly appraise or give me an idea of what my rifle is worth. I have a Winchester model 1906 all original made in 1913. What is odd about mine is that it says 22 Long Rifle on the barrel. Every other one I have seen either says 22 short or 22 short, long, and long rifle. But mine only says 22 Long rifle? This rifle is all original nothing replaced and all numbers matching and has been in my family for 80 plus years so I know its authenticity I just need help figuring out how much it is worth because my local shop owners say they have never seen this variant.

Thanks.

Attachments

• .22.jpg
    .22.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 72
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 22lr.jpg
    22lr.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
In the condition it's in, you would be lucky to draw $300. I have seen some really pristine 1906s command almost $2,000, but that one is not pristine.

As originally introduced the 1906 was chambered for .22 Short.

The long and long rifle chamberings were added about 1908, and the .22 short only chambering dropped not long after.

That said, I have never heard of one marked the way yours is. It would be interesting to know if it feeds shorts and longs, or if it is truly a .22 Long Rifle only.

Your barrel appears to have a WP in a circle on top, if so that was the Winchester proof mark for a replacement barrel at an outside source begining in 1913, prior to that year OF was the proof for replacement barrels. Without a circle around it Winchester began proofing all .22 barrels in 1908. The barrels were marked the same as 1890 barrels in 1908 when expanded from short only as to caliber but i do not know exactly when they added the short-long- long rifle designation.

Back