Odd Mauser 98 bolt stop

Moloch

So, I just bought a Mauser 98, no matching numbers, which has this strange looking bolt stop installed.
I never saw this type of bolt stop block on a Mauser rifle before, the odd thing about it is the little ''pedestal '' under the screw, all the 98's I own have the normal flat bolt stop block; the screw is also a little smaller.

Does anybody know which Mauser rifles extractor block that is?

oddextractor2.jpg

Last edited:
You mean ejector, not extractor, which is on the bolt. But to answer your question, I have never seen a bolt stop like that. Perhaps it was made by someone to replace a missing or defective one.

Jim

looks like the ejector screw for an enfield to me but I have been wrong in the past... if you have a no parts matching 98 then it's already a given that it was assembled from a stack of parts. more than likely it was missing the proper screw and the guy that put it together just put in the first one he found that fit.

Perhaps it was made by someone to replace a missing or defective one.
Thats very possible, the bolt stop looks like new; on the other hand, its a readily available fairly inexpensive part, so why make your own if you can just buy one for 5 bucks?

Commercial Mauser bolt stop. Nothing unusual. You are probably used to the military Mauser bolt stops that are flat across and have a little round pedestal under the screw.

OK, guys, why was the commercial bolt stop different? Before I answered, I checked Olson and some catalogs and didn't see any that looked like that. Any idea when and why it was used, or on what model(s)?

Jim

Don't know about the commercial part, but as I posted my 43 bcd Gustraff Werke has the identical set up.

Ron, I have never seen one like that, and am just wondering how I missed it if it is so common. Also, I don't see the purpose, It looks like it would require a special forging and extra machining to make it with that cutout in the middle and then even more work if the rear boss is as high as it looks, not to mention that a special screw might be required. All in all, not to K.98k specs and something I think would not be done in wartime. I just wonder what the advantage could have been.

I am of course assuming that those bolt stops are original and not something made up by an importer or a parts place as replacements, also a possibility.

JIm

Different maker....

Just checked the 4 mausers on my closest rack. The Swede, the Kar 98k, and the Vz24 all have the flat style. The Yugo 48 has the pedastal style, just like in your picture. And the Yugo is stock (new) condition, with matching #s, so I expect the pedastal type is original to it.

Hope this helps...

My M 48 has a bit higher pad under the screw head than normal, but it is still round, not rectangular like the one illustrated, and there is no "step" at the front.

Jim

Back