Odd lever break open shotgun

thickstrings

I have a single shot single barrel 12 ga barreled action. There are no markings except for 8217 under neath the barrel. There might have been at one time , but it is reblued and polished off. That describes about 500 shotguns, Now heres the difference; the trigger guard comes around the left side of the action to form a thumb lever. Push down on the lever and the action opens. The gun has leaf springs for the trigger and action.The gun has a extractor. It has a exposed spur hammer to cock. The receiver is rather rounded, it reminds me of a Stevens tip up rifle. Its my cousins gun that belonged to his dad, and he wants to see if I can get some wood on it. I am looking for a starting point. I thank you for your efforts.....

You've got what's known as a "side lever" shotgun, but without pictures, it'll be impossible to give you any further info. This system was used mainly on European shotguns, but a few American companies also made guns using it.

Both Hopkins and Allen and Iver Johnson made shotguns you described. The Hopkins and Allen guns were made prior to Iver Johnson's Patent or an infringement on it.

thanks

Thanks ,but it is not a falling block... When you push down on the "curled up ' trigger guard on the left side of the gun, the action breaks open, barrel on a hinge pin drops as in most regular single shots............

Didn't say it was a Falling Block. I said your shotgun ( side lever in which the rear of the trigger guard curls up to act as a barrel break lever ) was made by both Hopkins and Allen and Iver Johnson. Which company made yours, don't have the foggiest with out pictures.:) How ever , pull the front wood, if there are no proof marks then it is US made by one of the aforementioned two. The US did not have a national proof house. Also if it has patent dates or patent pending then it's an Iver Johnson. As I stated before, either Hopkins and Allen made theirs prior to Iver Johnson patent, or infringed on the patent.

Last edited:
thanks

Thanks for your reply. All thats on the gun are the numbers 8217...All I have is a reblued barreled action........ Just trying to do my cousin a favor and put some wood on it, it was his fathers, and everybody's long gone. I needed a starting point. Least I can tell him what it may be. Thanks again!

Back