Odd 45 cal 220 gr bullet...

bjm42

220 gr .45 projectile. Sorry no picture. No load data in my 4 manuals. What is it, & how used?
I'm calling it "half jkt" lead nose flat point. Diameters: .450 @ jkt, .451 @ base of knurled lead "upper half" of bullet; length is .645. These were a gift, but history unknown. Will try in Glock .45, if I can find load data.
Maybe can be used in 45 Colt?
Appreciate some wisdom, so I know what I'm dealing with. Thanks :)

Last edited:
I've got no personal experience with them, but I have heard of half jacketed bullets, or, as you said, half jackets. 451 would be a bit small for 45 Colt, I believe those might be a 45acp bullet. If I had them and had nothing else to shoot them in, I'd load them in a Colt and just not expect great accuracy from them

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have never seen what you describe as a bullet for 45acp. This sounds like a bullet for a revolver cartridge. Hornady made half jackets back in the 60's

I recall the old Hornady half jacketed bullets, but the "knurled lead" part does not fit.
Also 220 grains is an odd weight.
I conclude them to be the product of a small shop, or DIY bullet maker.

Load data:
Powder charge in middle of 230 grain .45 ACP range.
Seat to where it fits the magazine and chamber and runs up the feed ramp from magazine to chamber. If it will at all, depending on shape.

The nose profile should give you a clue, SWC or flat tip would be meant for revolver use, RN for semi auto.

Back in "the dark ages" a fair number of people swaged their own half and 3/4 jacketed bullets.

The alloy of the lead wire used for the cores was usually very soft, sometimes even pure lead. jacket material could be bought, or "found" and some bullets were jacketed using brass from fired cases or copper from pennies, or other sources.

The real issue with half jacketed pistol bullets (home made or factory) is velocity. Specifically TOO LOW a velocity can allow the core to separate from the jacket, in the gun barrel, and can leave the jacket stuck in the bore.

Full speed load levels don't do this, but light loads can, so be aware and load them accordingly.

Jacketed Flat Nose. Speer made them in .357, .41, .44, and .45 calibers for magnum revolvers, many used them in IHMSA. Complete bullets as well as the cups in those calibers. Soft lead with a crimped on jacket. Yes, folks made their own as well. I still have my cannelure machine to mate the jacket to the core, just have not made any in a long time. Herter's, Corbin and others made and still make the cups.

I'd not use them in an auto-loader myself.

Thanks all for advice.
I think I will just pass them on to a professional reloader I know.
I am just not one to "guess" my way into harm's way. :(

Back