Obtaining a CCW in Indiana

Dirty_Harry

Where and how do I go about doing this? I would like to get one soon.

Also, what are the laws about keeping a loaded pistol and/or rifle in the truck?

Go onto the Indiana State Police webpage.. I am sure they have all of the information on there.

From what I understand, Indiana is pretty easy to get a Carry Permit in. Good Luck.

You just need to go to your local police dept. (if you are not in city limits that would be the Sheriffs Dept.) and fill out the application. I believe the fee is $10 to get the application filled out and fingerprinted. You then mail the application/fingerprints along with a $30 money order to the State Police. Some departments require you to get the application signed by the police chief (which means waiting) others just fill it out and hand it to you.

I BELIEVE THE FOLLOWING TO BE TRUE, BUT YOU SHOULD CONFIRM IT BY READING THE LAWS AND/OR CONSULTING AN ATTORNEY!

In Indiana you must have a permit to transport a firearm in a vehicle unless you are taking it (unloaded and secured in the trunk) to/from the store or gunsmith.

Once you have a permit, you can keep a loaded firearm in your vehicle.

You apply for a permit through the PD or Sheriffs Dept that patrols where you live... cost is a total of $40 for a 4 year permit or $125 ($100 if you already have an Indiana permit) for a lifetime permit. You must have a permit to keep the weapon in a vehicle or to take it to the range (although most folks do not know this). There is nothing in Indiana law about carrying a loaded long-gun in a vehicle... therefore it is legal...

Very true, most people don't know you can't transport an unloaded handgun without a permit in Indiana. They assume that if its unloaded and secured out of reach (trunk etc.) that its legal. Indiana law specifically states that the only time you can transport a handgun without a permit is to/from the store or a gunsmith.

Another point many don't understand is that in Indiana it isn't a permit for concealed carry... it is simply a license to carry a handgun. The law doesn't specify how it must be carried so you can carry concealed or open. You simply need the license to legally have a handgun on your person or in your vehicle in public.

Back