Obama finally got my rifles need help

Wendyj

Hubby and I got a good old fashioned audit from 2014 and couldn't win no matter what so Bench guns had to go to fund the good old USA. LOL Pun intended. We are looking to replace 2 and he doesn't want to go back with the Tikka CTR in 260 or the mil spec in 308. Does anyone make a good stock and heavier fluted barrel in 300 wsm? Not so fond of the 6.5 craze anymore. Possibly heavy barrel with same in a Remington 7 Mag. Can find in a Sendero but looking for other options. Really prefer the 300 wsm but can't find anything semi heavy and fluted

I would look for a used Savage rifle for the action then put whatever stock and barrel your heart desires on it. The plus with the Savage action is you can rebarrell it yourself at home.

Take a look at the Winchester M70 Coyote rifles 24" fluted barrels in a Bell and Carlson stock. However they aren't true heavy barreled rifles.

Savage, Remington, preecision action is $300-400. About same as buying used rifle.
Take your pick of barrel, stock makers.

I went with E.R.Shaw for the barrel for my Interarms Mauser action. 284. Win.
Should be here by first week of August.

Only use will be for bench shooting and possibly some Southern areas of hunting over large pastures. No way I would want to carry that much weight around. Trying to stay in $700-$800.00 price range on the rifle so I can go about $1200.00 for the Nightforce scope I am wanting. Cheaper SHV 6x20 but the floating reticle is nice.

A fluted barrel is just decoration. Doesn't actually do anything. Anyway, Savage makes a Model 12 Varmint and a 16/116 Bear hunter with a fluted barrel. Latter is SS.\
"...stay in $700-$800.00 price range..." You likely won't find a new rifle for that money. The Savages run about a grand to a bit over $1200 MSRP.

Actually a fluted barrel is more than decorative. You save weight over a comparable bull barrel while retaining most of the rigidity, and the barrel will stay cooler due to a much increased area similar to the idea behind cooling fins on an air cooled engine. So there is a very functional aspect to a fluted barrel. And, they do look purty as well.

I found a pretty good deal out the door at just barely at 1k. great stock and I agree the fluted barrel reduces some weight and imho cools down faster which is a big plus with the magnum calibers punching 3000 to 3200 fps. I think it will be a fine rifle for him and our gunsmith can always replace the barrel when it burns out. Probably not an if but should hope for 1500 to 2000 rounds before.

Back