Obama Bitter About Free Markets

Silver Bullet

from http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351266,00.html

"In America, we have this strong bias toward individual action. You know, we idolize the John Wayne hero who comes in to correct things with both guns blazing. But individual actions, individual dreams, are not sufficient. We must unite in collective action, build collective institutions and organizations." — Barack Obama, Chicago Reader, Dec. 8, 1995.

Illinois Sen. Barack Obama was not only the most liberal member of the U.S. Senate in 2007, according to the National Journal, but if he becomes the Democratic Party's nominee, he will probably be the most liberal politician to ever to get it.

Obama’s past stands, including opposing the death penalty under any circumstances, believing that people should not be able to own handguns, talking about doubling the capital gains tax or opposing free trade are not the only things that get him classified as a liberal.

Nor is it just his statements that paint an elitist, snobby, liberal view of the world.

For example, as most people now know, on April 6 in a fundraiser to extremely wealthy donors in San Francisco, Obama said people living in “these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest ... cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

But, while his left-wing economic views are much less well known, they show a similar pattern.

Obama also never seems to have found a market that can work without extensive government regulation. During Obama’s big economic address at the very end of March, little attention was given in the American press to his deep distrust of the free market and his laundry list of failures of deregulation.

From telecommunications to electricity to banking to accounting, he blamed the failures as a product of markets out of control, with not enough government regulations to rein in "an ethic of greed, corner cutting, insider dealing, things that have always threatened the long-term stability of our economic system."

According to Obama, deregulation, even under the Clinton administration, produced an “'anything goes' environment that helped foster devastating dislocations in our economy.” The proper government regulation can prevent the ''chaotic, unforgiving” nature of capitalism.

For almost 30 years, Republican and Democratic administrations realized that mergers might create monopoly power, but that they often make it possible for firms to be run more efficiently — allowing firms to survive and grow and providing customers with lower cost products.

Obama’s view is that even the mergers the government did allow were largely not about making the economy better off, they were allowed because lobbyists successfully pushed through mergers that benefited firms at the expense of others. He implies that the firm’s gains were even smaller than the damage inflicted on consumers.

To Obama, the mortgage market problems arise because of unscrupulous lenders forcing fraudulent loans on unsuspecting customers. But why adjustable rate mortgages are fraudulent or so difficult to understand is never really explained. Do people not really understand that if interest rates go down, their monthly payments go down? If interest rates go up, the payments go up?

If interest rates go down and lenders lost money, would politicians be talking about unscrupulous borrowers instead of unscrupulous lenders?

Unfortunately, Obama thinks that he is not just running for president, but for America’s chief banker. He is so much smarter than the bankers, who have their jobs and money at stake, and who he thinks have messed up the mortgage market. He never even acknowledges that government regulations might be responsible. But a solution that he claims will prevent “larger losses” to the lenders requires that lenders must voluntarily “offer workouts and reduce the principal on mortgages in trouble.”

If accepting lower mortgage payments was such a clear solution, wouldn’t one think that even if the companies hadn’t seen this solution to begin with, you could just offer them the advice? Would it really be necessary to pass a law forcing them to do it?

Obama’s faith in the government to solve problems could also be seen earlier this month in Pennsylvania. Obama was asked about whether universal government health care insurance would result in the type of rationing that can be seen in other countries, but Obama claimed that a government run system would be much less expensive than a private system.

If true, it would be a first.

From exploring the Arctic to providing education, government provision has consistently proven to be much more costly than private operations.

with not enough government regulations to rein in "an ethic of greed, corner cutting, insider dealing, things that have always threatened the long-term stability of our economic system."

Ya mean like Cook County politics bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

WildsorryicouldntresistAlaska TM

He makes some good points but this
For almost 30 years, Republican and Democratic administrations realized that mergers might create monopoly power, but that they often make it possible for firms to be run more efficiently — allowing firms to survive and grow and providing customers with lower cost products.
is misleading. It should read that it allows firms the option of providing customers with lower costs. Doesn't mean they actually do it. Without competition there's little incentive to do so.

Lott has good facts but draws some questionable conclusions with them. Still, his analysis of Obama's economic ideas seem pretty on the money. Obama doesn't like anything that isn't under government control. Being collectivist isn't a bad thing - people coming together for a common goal is what creates civilizations and advances the species - but collectivism under government control is unnerving, to say the least. The problem isn't with collectivism, it's with trusting one entity to handle the majority of the lives of three hundred million people.

Corporations operate in a free market where customers may choose to, or not to do business.

Government operates on the principle that you do what they say or they put you in jail or kill you.

The fact that Obama favors the latter says alot about his character.

with not enough government regulations to rein in "an ethic of greed, corner cutting, insider dealing,

Why do liberals, see this stuff in a free market economy, but they never seem to see any of it in goverment.

Two Theroys (or is it Therioes)
-They are getting thier cut, so they just see it as a perk of job. something they are entitled too.
or
-a magic wand is waved over everyone who enters goverment service and takes away all thier selfish desires. (unfortunetly when this wand is waved it takes away all effienency and common sense)

Why do liberals, see this stuff in a free market economy, but they never seem to see any of it in goverment.
Same reason conservatives see this stuff in government but never see any of it in the free market? :p

But individual actions, individual dreams, are not sufficient. We must unite in collective action, build collective institutions and organizations."

This doesn't sound like an original idea to me. I think Obama has been spending too much time reading Das Kapital.:eek:

Zinged again by Redworm (true, how true. I still like the effeincey of the private sector though)
As do I. :) But putting one's faith entirely in the market is no better than putting one's faith entirely in government. CEOs are no more likely to care about the people than politicians.

The key is finding the right balance.

Correct. I think that balance has been greatly upset since the 1970's, however, everything I've seen of Obama leads me to believe that he would push too far the other way. Heck, if he wasn't such an unscrupulous snot and gun-grabber, I might have wanted to try him out on the economy, but having to take him as a package leads me to NOPE.

Does anyone else see "Gunowners = racist xenophobic bigots" in his original remarks? I sure do.

Obama’s past stands, including opposing the death penalty under any circumstances, believing that people should not be able to own handguns, talking about doubling the capital gains tax or opposing free trade are not the only things that get him classified as a liberal.

Opposing the death penalty makes me a liberal? I thought it strengthened my Pro-Life position, which is generally classified as conservative.

Corporations operate in a free market where customers may choose to, or not to do business.

Government operates on the principle that you do what they say or they put you in jail or kill you.

Mountainclimbr, that has to be one of the best, most succinct, encapsulations of the difference between a regulated command economy and the free market. I love it.

You are my hero for the day. :D

Illinois Sen. Barack Obama was not only the most liberal member of the U.S. Senate in 2007, according to the National Journal, but if he becomes the Democratic Party's nominee, he will probably be the most liberal politician to ever to get it.

imho that's just silly. I'd suggest that of the post WWII Democratic nominees that Adlai Stevenson was the most liberal. Obama would be well behind the curve, probably not in the top five.
Certainly not as liberal than Humphrey, Mondale, LBJ, McGovern, and Dukakis. Very much less liberal than Al Gore.
I'd guess he's somewhere in the Kennedy/Kerry range, somewhat socially liberal but not willing to stick his neck out over it, and friendly to big money. Maybe a tad more liberal than Kennedy now that I think about it.

I'd suggest that of the post WWII Democratic nominees that Adlai Stevenson was the most liberal.

Surely you are kidding. I did live through those times. Today Adlai would be a conservative compared to Obama. The main reason Ike won is that he was the Supreme Allied commander. No one could have beat Ike at the time. Anyway, you are way off base thinking the 1950's era Dem's were anywhere close to being as liberal as Obama.

(BTW, Truman would have been somewhere around ultra right wing by todays standards.)

I don't know too much about Adlai, other than running against Eisenhower for president. Was he also bitter about free markets ?

Silver Bullet,I don't think bitter was an attribute of Stevenson. He was probably one of the top intellects ever to run for President. His answers were thoughtful and precise. But as mentioned, he was running against the hero of "D" Day. The American people would have given Ike anything he asked for..and did.

Last edited:
Adlai Stevenson was a Roosevelt New Dealer. What we would now think of as a classic modern liberal if that wasn't an oxymoron.
He favored regulation of industry and the market. He was a populist as well as an intellectual.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adlai_Stevenson

There is little doubt that had he won in 52, he would have expanded the regulatory powers of FDR's alphabet soup bureaus.

People tend to forget that in many ways the nation was much more liberal in the fifties than it is today. Government's use of power was accepted as good and necessary by the majority of the people. Distrust of wealth and big business was much higher than today. Unions and the working class were much more influential.

Certainly compared to any modern republican Obama is a far left liberal. But compared to real liberals he's a moderate.

People tend to forget that in many ways the nation was much more liberal in the fifties than it is today.

I guess we will have to agree to dis-agree. I lived through the 50's, and it sure didn't fit the liberal description. Now the 60's did start more liberal thinking. Anyway, that's one of those things that can be argued forever...kinda like 9mm VS .45ACP. Although we all know the .45ACP is superior.:cool:

BTW, not to extend the argument, but that is the first time in my life I have ever heard the 50's referred to as being liberal times compared to future times. I just told my wife the 50's were liberal times...she is still laughing.:D

Back