OB semi MAC to FA w/magnet?

Beretta686

This has been asked elsewhere but no one seems to have a for real answer:

I was at the the range playing with my MAC-10 and started shooting the breeze with some folks there and one of them claimed that back in the day he had an open-bolt semi-auto MAC-10 and that he would put a magnet in a certain spot which made the weapon go full-auto.

I fired my Bull-**** flare and called him out but he stuck to his story.

Has anyone ever heard of something like that before?

To me it seems like the coke bottle or potato silencer and similar urban legends. But you never know.....

Never heard of something like that before:confused:

Even if it's true, it would be the kind of full-auto where you pull the trigger once and dump the whole magazine. It would be totally useless.

All I can think of is that he was trying to tell you that he found a way for the firing pin to constantly be in battery, thus causing slam-fires. All I can say is that it would have to be one hell of a strong magnet. I call BS...

All I can think of is that he was trying to tell you that he found a way for the firing pin to constantly be in battery, thus causing slam-fires

If it was a closed-bolt gun that could be true, but he was refering to those grandfathered open-bolt guns, which I believe are basically a regular MAC-10 without the stock & "Happy Switch" (making them pretty much worthless & boring IMHO since MACs are only fun on FA, but to each his own).

I think he was claiming that the magnet was holding the sear from engaging for semi-fire, which as silvanus said would make it fire until the ammo was gone.

And I think "totally useless" pretty much wraps up the MAC-10 from a practical standpoint, but they sure are fun.

Well... this is getting into some dangerous territory here. If this thread gets into the 'technical' ways of how to do it, then the ATF gets wind, some questions are going to be asked.... Although not illegal, we all know how they operate. Due Diligence and Justice arn't words in their vocabulary.

Certainly possible, by either disabling the disconnector, or by blocking the movement of the trigger bar to "sweet-spot" the trigger.

all i can think of is putting a magnet against the interrupter, but... lol.
and I will state this, I don't know much, but I've been told if the interrupter was some how sheared off, the hammer striker thingy wouldn't have anything to hold it back after first shot so... idk.

Back