O.k. Truth or B.S.

bspillman

I stopped into my local Academy today to pick up a improved cylinder choke to shoot slugs out of, with my maverick 88. The guy at the counter told me that I could not shoot slugs out of my gun because it would mess up the threads and possibly hurt my barrel. All the research that I have done via the web, states that I can. Is what the academy sports clerk telling me true, or B.S. Thanks in advance.

if shooting slugs through a ic chock would hurt the barrel, then there would be 5 dozen factories making new shotgun barrels round the clock.

What are you going to trust, logic from the manufacturuer, and reputable gun mags on the net. or a minimum wage kid at a store?

the clerk may have thought you were going to shoot the shotgun with out a choke tube in it, then he would have been correct,if not he,s misinformed. eastbank.

It won't hurt the threads on your barrel. But depending on the type of slugs you are using IC may not be the best choice. With soft conventional slugs most IC, modified, or full chokes are OK. Stay away from extra full tubes designed for turkey hunting. Best accuracy is usually with IC or modified, but every gun is different and there are exceptions.

With Sabot slugs you really need a fully rifled barrel for best results.

What the clerk told you was either BS, or there was some miscommunication and he misunderstood you. I've found that is often the case.

That's what I thought. There's hound not have been any misunderstanding either, when he told me this I said "I can't shoot a rifled slug from a improved cylinder choke". He said "no, it will mess up the threads in your gun and could possibly ruin the barrel". Thanks for the replies everyone.

Gun store clerks are sometimes almost as good and reliable a source of information as web sites.

Jim

I have seen many ancedotal stories on the web of slugs ripping out choke tubes. My father believes this also...

Not saying it's right, just saying it's definately out there.

I suppose it is possible to ruing threads like this IF you had a very shallow thread cut or possibly had a very thin walled fixed choke barrel cut to accept choke tubes, but know of no barrels with such a problem.

He probably thought you were going to shoot it without a choke. I have a Pardner Pump with cylinder bore that shoots foster slugs like a rifle at 50 yds. My kid's Mossberg shoots Remington slugs even better with a modified choke, but it hates Federal. Shotguns can be picky with slugs.

I emailed the factory to ask them about my Mossberg Maverick O/U, as I had heard that anything narrower than cylinder was unwise. The e-mail I got in reply assured me that their improved cylinder choke (with which the gun came, along with a Modified) is fine for slugs.

Back