O.K. then, does the .45 have the same maximim effective range as a 9mm?

vmaam

If I carry a Kimber ultra carry can I engage a threat at the same distance as I would with a 9mm and expect the same range performance?

IMHO, while a good shot can shoot pistol at 100 yards, the max effective range for the handgun is 50 yards and in the real world within 7 yards is more like it. At longer ranges the 45 has more drop than the 9mm and range estimation is more critical, but within 25 yards there isn't that much of a difference.

As far as terminal effectiveness, that's a whole can of worms that has been and will be debated without resolution forever.

Not being an expert, I offer the following in the spirit of humility:

At long distances, I'd definitely take the 9mm over the .45 as far as accuracy goes. Personally, for long distance work, I'd step up to a much more powerful caliber.

I say this as a person who prefers .45 for most purposes. It's a great caliber, but it just ain't moving very fast. .45 Super is another story. :D

At long distances, the .45ACP will definitely have more drop than the 9mm. But out to 50 yards or so, the drop is relatively inconsequential.

At LFI-2, we fired at the 50 yard line using the roll-over prone position. I had the best group, 18 shots in a group of about 6-8" or so. I was using a full-size Kimber M1911. The fellow next to me was the best shot in the class, he was using a Glock 19. But I kicked his butt at the 50 yard line (he reciprocated later :(); I suspect the difference was long sight radius and crisp trigger of my M1911.

At 100 yards, the 9mm will have significantly less bullet drop the .45ACP. But is that important? Personally, I find shooting an iron sighted pistol at 50 yards quite challenging, and I suspect I'd have a hard time getting hits on target at 100 yards, even from a prone position. And that's against a stationary target with no time pressure (and no one shooting back at me). Finally, I think the chances of my needing to make even a 50 yard shot in self defense is quite slim, and the chances of hitting a moving target at that range to be even less. At that range, I'd likely be doing my best broken-field running in the other direction.

I can't see that the flatter trajectory of a 9mm gives you any practical advantage in a pistol.

M1911

At 50 yards there is no significant difference. At 100 yards it is easier to hit with a 9mm, but if you aim high to compensate for bullet drop the .45ACP will hit the target.

I think it is a given that the 9mm shoots flatter. Smaller bullet at higher speed = flatter trajectory. That in and of itself doesn't mean it is better. Any shooting; long range or short range, rifle or pistol demands that you know where your gun and load hit. Just because one round shoots flatter than another doesn't mean you are going to hit the target unless you know where it hits at that range. If you are interested in this, the best thing to do would be, go out to the range and try it. It certainly couldn't hurt to know where your gun hits at 100 yards or 50 yards. Justifying a self defense shooting at ranges like that would be tough, but it is just another step in mastering your chosen piece and I am sure it would be fun. Everything in shooting isn't about self defense or combat shooting. I often shoot my handguns at longish ranges at junk lying out in the desert. You just sort of walk the rounds into the target by watching the dust fly from the previous shot. When I was a kid I used to take my Ruger MK II and fire the whole mag at a metal target hanging at over 200 yards. We would then wait a couple seconds, and then ding ding ding...... My friends could never do it, but all it amounted to was knowing where to hold, very little skill was involved. As another poster mentioned, ballistic performace is a subject of endless debate, but it is a fact that the heavier bullet will retain more energy over a longer distance.

Back