Nylon versus Steel

Gregory Gauvin

I have a H&R .22 revolver I recently took apart for through cleaning and lubrication. Nonetheless, I found the original nylon mainspring cracked nearly in half.

I ordered a new mainspring guide rod and spring from Numrich, being wise, replacing it with a steel one instead of another nylon one.

Comparing my old mainspring with the new, the guide rod itself is dimensionally the same - as I have read others posting about the nylon vs. steel guide rods for these pistols to be ever so slightly different. Anyways, I installed the new mainspring and guide rod and gun is good to go.

Question: Why does numrich offer two different mainsprings for this gun? One for the nylon guiderod and one for the steel guiderod? I noticed the steel guiderod came with a mainspring about 5 coils longer than the original. Despite the longer spring, I notice no increased trigger pull or effort to cock back hammer. Why the difference in springs?

I don't know about the spring, but when H&R went out of business, GPC simply bought all the parts they had, old or new, current or obsolete, so they often have different types. When ordering most parts, you need to give them the model and serial number of the gun (no, they don't pass it to BATFE as some kind of secret registration scheme) and a sketch or photo of the part that needs to be replaced.

Jim

Back