Nylon bullets???

TABING

Just finished John Ross' "Unintended Consequences" where the hero uses a piece of nylon stock as a .44 mag. bullet over a "case full Of Bullseye" to get a velocity of 3000 fps. Now all gun related stuff in this book seems to be correct, but I wonder about this. Nylon bullets, no problem, but a case full of BE and 3000fps, is it possible?

Not having actually chronographed such a load I can't speak for the MV. A very light bullet (such as this would be) could certainly be loaded quite "hot" by conventional standards without overpressure. Of course the ballistic co-efficient would suck and the MV would be lost rapidly once the projectile left the barrel. Would probably work at very close range (near contact range) but forget anything at any distance. Industrial grade nylon stock is quite solid and strong. I see no reason a bullet turned out of it wouldn't work for extremely close ranges. Not sure just what the advantage of this would be (other than lack of penetration) as it is doubtful that the bullet would have very good penetration and I don't know whether it would exhibit any expansion/fragmentation.

At 3000 fps and at close range I could see penetration being pretty good. At those velocities you also might see the nylon "shatter" and become a bunch of projectiles.

Wasn't planning to try it, just wanted your thoughts on its possiblity.
In the novel he put it through the enemies eyesocket at about 4 feet, inside an airplane, I guess that's why he used a soft projectile rather than a more conventional one.

BTW, this book is a must read for firearms enthusiasts.

The "Thunderzap" was a commercial version of the concept...

c title...it was available in .38Spl and got up over 2,000fps there per one magazine's testing. There was also a .45ACP version. For that matter, the Magsafe SWAT is just a copper jacket with no lead, full of epoxy...net weight and effects would be similar to a raw nylon load.

I see no reason why a .44Mag version couldn't behave exactly as Mr. Ross suggests.

I'd like to see one out of a .454Casull or .500Linebaugh pull over 4,000fps :). One of those on a watermelon should be...impressive :D.

Jim

Interesting. You may know that Speer (I think?) made (makes?) nylon (I think) cases and "wadcutter" "bullets" for target practice. They use no powder, just primers. Accuracy is so-so at basement ranges, and they work more naturally in revolvers than autos.

Dunno what would happen if they were on top of a full charge. I'm tempted to say "melt" but they weigh nothing so they'd be out of the tube before the powder had enough time to melt it, I bet!

Don't quote me on this, but I believe I have read somewhere (with pictures) of a nylon round designed for and used by "tunnel rats" in Vietnam. Best I recall, they were shot out of a short M27.

Back