Nylon brushes?

when using a copper solvent the nylon brush will not desolve like a copper or bronze brush. they also carry more solvent because the bristles are larger in dia. when using a powder solvent i still like a bronze brush.. imho..pat

Brasshopper; there is only one real difference. You need to wash the bore solvent off the phosphor bronze (that is what 'brass' brushes really are) brushes after use, or the solvent will attack them.

Let the solvent do its' work, it may take two or three days, or longer; it is a chemical reaction. Slop some solvent in the bore after you are through shooting (with a brush); do the same thing when you get home. Run a few patches through in a few hours, and again put fresh solvent in the bore.

Let it sit overnight. Run more patches through. Repeat as needed until clean. If there is noticable leading in the bore, then use some Lead Away Cloth with solvent. This contains an extremely fine abrasive, and will leave the bbl. shiny bright.

Degrease the bore, and apply some Tuf-Glide to the bore. You can apply it to the chamber as well, but just to be safe, I would degrease the chamber before firing the gun.

If you don't believe how long even aggressive bore solvents like Shooter's Choice or Accubore take to work, try this test. Clean the bore for 2 or 3 days, then run a clean patch with solvent on it through the bore. Take a look a week later; you will see all sorts of crud loosened up by the solvent. That is why you use a very penetrating, bond-to-the metal product like Tuf-Glide to coat the bore. It will penetrate under the fouling.

My experience is that even neglected leading will not necessarily cause harm. I obtained a 1957 Gold Cup a few years ago. There was noticable leading, although the gun had obviously not been fired much, and not for a long time. The leading came off, revealing an extremely shiny, well finished, blemish free bore. Of course, YMMV Walt

Back