NY Pistol permit quandry

echo6mike

I'm in the process of filling out my Pistol permit documentation and have a question concerning the arrest/summons portion.

I've had a clean record for all of my adult life and am prior military. However, I did have to go before a justice when I was twelve or thirteen because a couple of buddies and I broke in to a school and had to see a probation officer for a few months as a result. I've been trying to get the specifics from the police department where it occurred but was told that most likely those records are sealed because they'd have a youthful offender status.

I want to be completely open about this but an unsure on how to document the offense. This is what I think I should do but would like some feedback; I'll document the incident with a rough date, police agency and outcome.

Any advise?

I would document it as you plan to so; that way it doesn't look like you are leaving anything off the application. You may or may not get an interview with the issuing judge, at which time you can explain the circumstances to the judge.

When i lived in MA and went for my CCW when I turned 21 I had to disclose everything, I had a few arrests and no convinctions from when I was younger and needed to put exact dates and the outcome of the arrest. Needless to say, this was a pain. I had to find the exact date of an arrest when I was 16 and I had no record of the event and the police department and court was of no help. In the end I had to read through newspaper archives just to find the arrest date. What a hassle it all was. Good luck.

Be upfront and honest, the most that can happen is they say no.

But if you try to conceal something (intentionally or not), and they find out, they WILL say no. New York is discretionary. It is solely at the whim of the issuing agency. The Judge can turn you down because he doesn't like the tie you wear. Most of the time they will have some other reason, but they have the power. The law includes the phrase "of good moral character" or something very much like that, and even though you may not have convictions, you can be refused for having a string of arrests, as this would indicate to them, a "pattern" of offenses.

Half a dozen speeding tickets could be enough, because this clearly demonstrates you have a lack of respect for the law and its authority.

One recent poster was denied because of several youthful arrests. Even though he had no convictions, his offenses involved fraud, drugs, and (IIRC) a burglary. He had kept his nose clean for years since, but was turned down anyway.

Be honest, be open. Freely admit that you did some stupid things when you were a kid, but you learned from them, grew up and became a responsible law abiding citizen. Then roll the dice.

It won't hurt you to do some subtle research about the judge (s) who will be reviewing your application. Many years ago (35+) there was a Judge in Saratoga county that would only approve a pistol permit for "Hunting and Sporting purposes". Anything else he would deny. At this same time, there was a Judge in Albany county that would only approve a permit for "Personal Protection". Anything else he would deny. Ask around in the shops and clubs with other pistol permit holders, and see if they have any useful information, especially guys who got their permits recently. It may not help, but I don't see how it could hurt.

Good Luck.

And if possible in your life, consider taking yourself, your guns, and your income out of New York state. And if you do, be sure and let them know why! I did, and have enjoyed shooting, and owning pretty much what I wanted without having to jump through all those hoops, all the time, ever since. There is a lot of this country that still allows a greater degree of liberty than New York state.
If you can't leave, stay and make the best of it. Get political, at least enough to vote. And whenever you can, let them know why you vote the way you do. It counts for more than you think. You may lose, but if you don't try, you got no reason to cry.

Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the advise.

44 - The biggest mistake I made after leaving the Marine Corps was coming back to this state. Now I can't get my wife to leave!! Truer words have not been spoken about getting active in local and state government. I you don't participate, you've got no reason to bi%$h.

And if possible in your life, consider taking yourself, your guns, and your income out of New York state. And if you do, be sure and let them know why! I did, and have enjoyed shooting, and owning pretty much what I wanted without having to jump through all those hoops, all the time, ever since. There is a lot of this country that still allows a greater degree of liberty than New York state.
If you can't leave, stay and make the best of it. Get political, at least enough to vote. And whenever you can, let them know why you vote the way you do. It counts for more than you think. You may lose, but if you don't try, you got no reason to cry.

these words were beautifully spoken....

fellow NYC'er

Forget the police department... Go to the court you appeared in. They will have the documentation whether it is sealed or not. For a small fee you should be able to get a copy of the case disposition that you can include with your application. Even though you mention it on the application they're going to want the disposition documentation.
After forgetting to include a youthful indiscretion on my application I was called on it. I had to get a copy of the case disposition and I was then issued a permit. I send a copy along with every permit I apply for and have yet to be denied.

Back