Nwtf .300 wby mag.

Backwoodsboy

Hi yall, new to the forum here and I wanted to say hi. I just picked up a Wby vanguard deluxe in .300 wby mag for 600.00 and apon finding out this was an aniversary edition with a limited run of 2700 I jumped on the offer and could not be more pleased. It is in unfired condition, in its factory equipped box along with test target and wby stickers. I plan on getting into reloading and yes I realize the caliber kicks like a mule, however my question is for those who have experience with the brand of rifle and or caliber, what are your impressions. Look forward to hearing from yall soon
Thank Backwoodsboy

Backwoodsboy said:
my question is for those who have experience with the brand of rifle and or caliber, what are your impressions.

I picked up a 300 WBY in a Vanguard over at Cabelas a few weeks back. They're closing out the old model to make room for the new Series II. I paid $350 + tax for mine. I'm currently working up some loads with the 150 gr Accubonds. I'm going to be testing a handful of slow burning powders and see what yields the best results. Maybe another month or so til I get a chance to report those results.

As for the rifle, this is the 3rd Vanguard that I've bought and the 2nd with a plastic stock. I plan on changing out the plastic for a nice piece of wood. I called Weatherby and you can get the Deluxe wood stock (seconds) for $200 plus shipping. My other Vanguards are 7mm Rem Mag & 257 WBY. Both shoot very well and the quality seems to be top notch, especially considering the price.

I own a vanguard in 300 WBY. it does kick like a mule. it does cost a small fortune every time you squeeze the trigger and it does kindof look ugly for a modern hunting rifle.

on the other hand it will kill anything in north america and factory soft tip ammo goes through 3/4" steel plate without even deflecting:D it's a great round and the actions are smooth on the guns...accuracy isn't much to scoff at either.

Back