Numbers stamped next to each chamber, Speed Six.

puppyface

I bought a Speed Six used a few years ago that has numbers, 1 though 6, next to each chamber. Is this stock?

Attachments

• thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg
    thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
OK, this is strange??:confused:

I have a Stainless(w/6"bbl) 1982 Security six.
Mine has what is clearly a #5; AND what looks like a maybe a #4........but nothing else that I can see. Anything and everything should show up crisp and sharp on my S6.
I've got it about four years ago and even if it's a 1982 model revolver, it's tight as a brand spanking new gun. When I bought it (consignment), there was two gp100's right along side it, that I could compare it to. (both a 4" & 6" barrel).
:eek:It won...................so I bought it! and for $350.......... why not???:D

I bought a Speed Six used a few years ago that has numbers, 1 though 6, next to each chamber. Is this stock?

I don't think it was stock on the Speed Six. But it was a fairly common practice among bullseye shooters to stamp or scratch numbrs beside each chamber and carried over to other shooters as well. The numbers enabled you to keep track of the most accurate chambers, it's often the case that there will be one or two chambers that are less precisely located than the others. So in a match you would use the most accurate. That's why the numbers.

tipoc

FWIW

Last 3 digits of the serial were often 'penciled' (electric) on the front face of Ruger single action cylinders to keep the cylinder referenced to the frame that it was fitted to...

Never seen this on a Six Series, or stamped on the rear face, but that does not mean they did not mean that the 1-6 is not a factory job...

Just that I have never seen it...

The guy I bought it from bought it new ( in order to protect himself from his brother in law, pretty weird ) from Williams Gunsite in Michigan. I also thought that it might have been some kind of accuracy job done on it, but normally a stub nose won't get that kind of treatment. It does have a very fine single action pull and a light DA. If anyone has an older Speed Six maybe they can check the cylinder and see....I can say one thing, my SP 101 is not anywhere near the fit and finish compared to the older Speed Six.

My blued Speed Six has the "S" stamped next to one chamber, plus faintly scratched '1', '2' and '3' next to three chambers. My Security Six and Service Six only have the factory-stamped "S". All three shoot fine and are as accurate as you'd expect Six-series Rugers to be. The Speed was a gun show find and I don't know its history. But this makes me think a previous owner was marking chambers that had a problem. If so, it was corrected before I bought the gun.

Not stock, but not uncommon back in the round-gun era. The gun likely had an action job from a gunsmith along the way, and numbering the chambers was often a feature of that work.

Neither of mine have it, btw.

Ruger completely rebuilt and refinished my Super Blackhawk in 2012, including fitting a 'new-process' cylinder. (All chambers cut with the same reamer, instead of 6 different reamers for speed of production.)

When it returned to me, the chambers were numbered on the new cylinder.

From an M629 done by Mag-na-Port. A custom touch on a custom gun.

14324629hammer1.jpg

tipoc

Quote: puppyface
B. Thomas....nice find. The SS six inch Security Six was my first gun. Wish I still had it.

Yup, one of, if not my favorite and a keeper.
I stopped getting rid of guns about ten years ago...........way to many I'm sorry I got rid of. So now I'm keeping them all.:cool:

Back