'Nuisance season'

Maximus856

Well, nuisance season is coming up sept. 1st I have been told.. And at my work we have a problem with Canada Geese. My boss said some of the club members come in and do their thing, and I was wondering if I by chance could take part in this. My problem is I lack a shotgun, and I read somewhere you can only take migratory birds with a shotgun. I wasn't sure if this changed or not during 'nuisance' season... I live in PA btw.

-Max.

Well, nuisance season is coming up sept. 1st I have been told.. And at my work we have a problem with Canada Geese. My boss said some of the club members come in and do their thing, and I was wondering if I by chance could take part in this. My problem is I lack a shotgun, and I read somewhere you can only take migratory birds with a shotgun. I wasn't sure if this changed or not during 'nuisance' season... I live in PA btw.

-Max

Cool, PA has a nuisance season? Can I bring my nuisance neighbor up:eek:

I'm not real experienced bit I never heard of taking ducks or geese with anything but a shotgun. I do know you have to use steel shot instead of lead now.
So if you get a shotgun, make sure the barrel will take steel shot.
Hope this helps a little.

Maximus586,
I've hunted the Early Season for Canadian Geese for many years and it's the best time to get some "easy" shooting and calling done. :) If you're thinking about getting into it, be prepared for the addiction of waterfowling. :D Bowhunting is legal for waterfowl too, but not with crossbows.

Shotguns capable of holding not more than 3 shells is one of many restrictions for hunting waterfowl. Non-toxic shot is another one. Please check your local game regulations for more detail. Also, talk with the guys on the Refuge Forums for more info.
www.refugeforums.com/refuge

I happen to have a Russian Baikal 12 gauge O/U for sale, if you're interested send me an e-mail to: outdoorguy_57@yahoo.com

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Act fast the early goose season is almost on us. You need shotgun [ best a 12 ga, 3" mag, non-lead shot [I use steel BB ] hunting license, federal 'duck stamp' [ at larger post offices] Make sure you pattern the load. Range for BB steel is about 25-45 yds. They taste good , best braised ! Dress them out immediately, the warm weather will spoil them quickly !

Great info guys, thanks. I'm new to the whole hunting deal so any info is good info.

And unfortunatley, I can't afford another gun right now, so if I were to do it it would be with a borrowed shotgun, and probably with someone who has some experiance..

Thanks,

-Max.

We don't have that, but I sure like the idea, knowing that without checking every detail of the reg book on a particular day, I can take out as many crows, squirrels, raccoons, and beavers that I can find and sneak up on.

Back