Nuisance hogs in Ft Myers

joeranger

My sisters friend in Ft Myers asked me to come down and shoot the hogs in her backyard. She backs up to a preserve and the hogs come into her yard and tear it up.
"Wild hogs may be trapped and hunted year-round with landowner permission. A hunting license is not required, and a permit is not required to take wild hogs at night with a gun and light with landowner permission.

Hunters may use dogs and any legal rifle, shotgun, crossbow, bow, pistol or air gun (including airbow). There is no size or bag limit, and either sex may be harvested."

I think my crossbow would be the best option, right? I need to talk to her and find out their movements and check any local ordinances.

Anything else I need to be aware of?

How close is she to her neighbors; big difference if you are talking about some nice acreage versus a typical subdivision. Depending on things like that, trapping might be the best option. Good luck! Please get as many as you can we have way too many here.

Check to see if there are city or other restrictions. Just because the state says it's OK, there may be county, city, township or HOA restrictions against hunting in subdivisions.

I spoke with the Lee County Sheriff Agriculture dept and he said "Make sure you know what you are shooting at and what is behind it" "Ohh, yeah, a crossbow would be perfect!!!" I think they have other things to worry about;)

I know hogs are a major nuisance and I know it's good we don't have them here in NY... but man, hunting them sure does seem fun.

A bow would mean tracking, something I wouldn't do at night. I'd opt for a 6.5 Grendel or 300 HAM'R with softpoints for DRT head shots.

Bit of a wrinkle, I spoke with the land owner and she said the hogs only come every week or so...but in a massive stampede from the forest preserve. It would be very difficult to time it if I didn't live there for two weeks:(

Bit of a wrinkle, I spoke with the land owner and she said the hogs only come every week or so...but in a massive stampede from the forest preserve. It would be very difficult to time it if I didn't live there for two weeks:(
That seems to be the M.O. of hogs.

Back