NTM Python Arrived - a couple accessory questions

AndABeer

Got my new-to-me Python, shows a little holster wear, but seems to be some debate among the guys who did the transfer for me as to whether or not it has been fired. Anyway, my only real complaint is that the grip shifts in my hand, that is, the two Colt grip plates don't seem to be fit very well. Don't wanna torque down on the grip screw for fear of breaking it so I am thinking of putting some exotic wood Hogue monogrips on her. Has anyone any experience with this combo? Are there different frame styles of the Python (ex. round butt, square butt)? Or should all Hogue grips fit all Python revolvers?

Holsters? I'd like to try the Galco Phoenix as it can be strong side or crossdraw, but does it give up something for this versatilty?

Grips

Besides tightening the grip, you can try some paper. Slip some in where it appears loose and then tighten the grips. It's worked for me on a S&W in the past. Oh, I can afford to change paper every time I clean the gun.

The grip frame on the Colt Python hasn't changed and there is only one style: factory.

BTW, I may have some used Pachmayrs which I can let go cheap. I prefer factory wood (yep, old fashion) and the Pachmayrs had to come off.

do not tighten the screw more than snug, the panels will definitly crack, the looseness isn't uncommon. i fixed a pair i had with some wood putty or you could be very professional an use beeding compound. the shape of the grips don't work for me and look more like plastic than wood, but i think they look good when i show off the guns.

colt designates the python an I-frame (.41 cal size) and it only has the square butt, the only modification i have seen was to cut off:eek: the front toe for a pair of fuzzy farrant combat grips:cool:

the hogue monogrips look and feel great, but you gotta like the finger grooves. they also add quite a bit of wood below the bottom of the frame. i'm saving up for a pair from roy fishpaw, hopefully before he retires.

if you are interested in pachmayrs, i have both the presentation models (factory rubber) and the grippers (more oval w/finger grooves). i'm using a pair of rubber monogrips now (palmswell & lighter than pachmayr)

hope this helps

My Python came with Hogue rubber grips, which I dislike for a variety of reasons. I bought a pair of the wood grips with the checkering. These are the ones you usually see on older Pythons, but I advise against them. Even with light .38 special loads, they dig into the hand and are most uncomfortable. I called Colt's and they advised me to call Brownells about the grips that come on the Ultimate Pythons now. I got a set of them, and love 'em. Smooth with finger grooves, beautiful, comfortable, Colt's emblem on them which I like. These grip were not cheap ($72!!), But I paid a bundle for the gun, and I think a good Python is worth spending money to get good grips. Just my input.....Ron

Back