NRA M1 sale?

DAL

Does anyone know where I can get information about the NRA program to qualify to purchase an M1 rifle? Have any of you done this? If so, can you share some of your insight?
Thanks,
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

Cmplogo1.gif

Hi DAL, The M1 Garand sales program ain't affiliated with the NRA. For 60 years, or so, it was called the "DMC" and was administered thru the US Army. About 5 years ago the Democrats in Congress tried to kill the program altogether. Luckily, Bob Dole, Orin Hatch, Chuck Grassley and other Republicans where able to save it by spinning it off as a private corporation chartered by Congress. Now it's called the "CMP" - Civilian Marksmanship Program.

Membership in the NRA is not required to get a rifle, but we're all members anyway, right? The NRA does sanction most of the formal service rifle competion. If you're a Veteran the shooting requirement is waived. You do have to be a member of an "affiliated club", where I live it's a chapter of the Izaak Walton Leauge.

Take this link to Culver's Talk Forum. Ton's of good Garand stuff. You gotta get one (or ten). Link to the CMP is in the header at the top of Culver's. -- Kernel

http://12.4.191.54/cgi-bin/guntalk/config.pl?

[This message has been edited by Kernel (edited January 28, 2000).]

It's a good deal.

My father and I each bought one (his = SA 1945, mine = WRA 1944). For $400, it's hard to go wrong in today's market. They are guaranteed to fall within certain, serviceable, specs (ours did), so there are no surprises like there may be with the questionable new manufactured M1 receivers (+used parts kit).

If you're former military, current LE, or similar, you don't have to shoot in a match.

You'll have a no-kidding piece of history.

Thanks to those of you who responded. It sounds like a heck-of-a-good deal.

There's a club located about 45(?) mins. away that is CMP affiliated, The Ben Lomand Gun Club. I've been toying with the idea of joining it, and this will probably be the reason that finally makes me join. Also, since I was in the U.S. Army, I shouldn't have any problem getting an M1 or two.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, LP, NRA

DAL, one more thing.... you can join a local club or you can join your State Association. It costs me $75 a year to belong to the Izaak Walton Leauge (which teaches a M1 course and has one Service Rifle shoot each year), but only $20 per year to be a member of the Iowa State Rifle & Pistol Association (the State NRA affiliate). I belong to both but either is acceptable to the CMP. Since you're a Vet you don't have to shoot, though membership in a Club is still required. The paperwork ain't near as hard as it use to be (probalbly the only good thing to come from the new "National Instant Check System"), and once you send it in you'll have your rifle in 3 to 4 weeks. -- Kernel
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Clubs/asoc.htm

I bought my Garand in July of '99, and am so pleased with it that I hope to get at least one more this year. My rifle is a nice Springfield (1942). To fulfill the CMP's "club requirement", I joined the Texas State Rifle Association, and at only 20 bucks a year, it was a good deal, I thought.

I'm already in the NRA , but that does not help as far as getting the rifle is concerned. You still have to join a club or approved state association. Seems kind of silly, considering how much the NRA has done for the CMP, to help lobby to keep it afloat, and all. Why isn't NRA membership good enough? I don't know. I'm going to have to ask those folks sometime.

Good luck to you.

Back