NRA light rifle/ .17HM2

GoSlash27

I just got my son his first light rifle; a Savage Mk.2 in .17 Mach 2. I decided to go with the NRA light rifle quals as the structure for his marksmanship training. The problem is that the NRA rules only allow .22 rimfire (any type).
Do you folks think the .17 rimfires should count for qualifying purposes? If so, why and if not, why not?
Thanks
-John in Cedar Rapids

Without doing any research, if the rules say .22LR then a .17rf is out. Likely because .17 ammo and rifles aren't everywhere. Mind you, it doesn't mean that teaching the kid with a .17 is bad. Safety is safety and so is marksmanship. Contact the NRA and ask though. The worst they can say is no and your son will still have memories of shooting with his da.

I have a cz452 in .17 mach 2. The thing is so accurate, it's amazing. I bet they don't want .17's in with the .22's cause they are more accurate (comparing stock form vs. stock form). The .17 hrm is around 2400fps and the .17 mach 2 at 2100, compare that to the 1000-1400 fps of a .22 and you can see their reason.

Good luck with the new shooter, i don't see any reason a .17 would be at a disadvantage with a new shooter.

Back