Nra Hi-power

gxi.llc

Hi guys. I obtained an M1 through the CMP and could not be happier with it. I highly recommend the CMP for anyone, especially for getting more young shooters into the sport. Anyway, I used to think I couldn't see 600 yards, let alone compete with open sights at 600, but I'm finding that my eye focuses great when looking through a 50 thousandth-inch hole. So I've been hitting a 1-foot square steel plate at 300 yards pretty regularly, and now have some official targets I will be taking to the range, but I only have access to 300 yards. Where I will be competing does have a 600 yard firing point, and I will have never shot at that distance before. I get two sighter shots, so... Roughly how many clicks (standard sights) more than the setting for 300 will get me at least on the paper at 600? I know ammunition will make a big difference, and I will probably use S&B or that Greek Olympic 150gr for my first match (because I'm poor...ok cheap) and am shooting M2 ball surplus for practice. What do you guys do at these matches?

Here's the standard M1 / M14 come-ups. These will get you on paper for pretty much anything you might feed an M1 or M14 (150gr FMJ, 155match, 163gr AP, 168gr match, 173/175gr match).

From 100 to 200yds--add 2 clicks up
from 200 to 300yds--add 3 clicks up
from 300 to 600yds--add 12-14 clicks up

"Two for 2, three for 3, twelve for 6"

Ty

I coach a 4H rifle team, (as well as compete in High Power and Small Bore)
and use to support the CMP in their support of the youth shooting sports. Until the last couple of years, that is. I have let our club's CMP membership go because the CMP no longer supports the youth rifle programs any more than Wal Mart does. The CMP use to supply .22 ammo at compensated prices for youth programs. No longer. The CMP use to supply medals, free, to the youth programs. No longer. The CMP use to supply useable rifles to youth programs at affordable prices. No longer. In fact, they really don't do anything much for a youth program that the program cannot get somewhere else for the same or better price.
Other than sell M1 rifles at full market value, and other rifles at highway robbery prices, the only thing the CMP does, is to run National Rifle matches so far across the country that most cannot even afford to go. Of course, the NRA is partly responsible for this.
Anyway, the M1 is a great rifle and fun to shoot. Enjoy it!

I think the M-1 is a great way to get started in High Power. I would also recommend that any one who has a M-1 find a John C. Garand match and shoot it as they are a real hoot. Everyone is on the same playing field as tuned match rifles are not allowed, although some push the issue with barrel and gas sysytem.

"Other than sell M1 rifles at full market value, and other rifles at highway robbery prices, the only thing the CMP does, is to run National Rifle matches so far across the country that most cannot even afford to go."

Don't sugar-coat it, Chick.

In my opinion, you couldn't be more wrong about CMP. You can buy a rack grade Greek SA M1 for $295; you can buy a USGI service grade rifle for $500. Have you ever seen better prices than that? I haven't. Can you tell me where I can buy a 1903 or 1903A3 for less than $400? Also, CMP customer service is great!

You may have to drive a little bit, but if you want to, you can find CMP-sanctioned Garand matches in most areas.

Tim

Let me be more specific. The CMP prices for .22 rifles is full market value. Yeah, when you find a good Mod 52 or Rem 40X in a gun shop, it may be higher than what the CMP gets, BUT, you get to inspect it up front. Buy it from the CMP, and it is sight unseen. No telling what you will get, and that lowers it's value. As far as the M1 prices, the CMP gets about $100 less than what they go for around here (southeast Texas) , and then again, it is sight unseen. One that I got from the CMP, looked like patchwork quilt when it arrived at my house. I would gladly have given another $100 for the right to pick out one I liked. I hope this explains my statement.

Read the words "run National Rifle matches" . Yeah there are sanctioned matches at our club, but the CMP really has little to do with them.

TimRB....yeah you can got to Big 5 or something like that and pick up a M-1 Garand for about the same money. I think those caught up in that will find a out of Spec non GI reciever. I've had good service from the CMP and will buy more of their rifles.

Never buy one of the M1 rifles built up on an after market receiver. Most are out of spec. Most of the M1 rifles that are sold through the CMP are ok. I am just sour at the way they have dropped thier support of youth shooting program, and claim they are full blown supporters of youth shooting. The .22 rifle prices are, as I said earlier, iffey.

Back