nra gives out grants to government

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooltimey

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/UCSO_CELOX-22Dec07.html

Forget for a second that nra supported the 1934, 1968, 1986, and lautenberg bans. Forget that nra won't push vermont/alaska carry. Forget that a few nra board members support various gun/magazine bans, and just ask yourself how THIS "grant" from the nra to a government entity supposedly helps the 2nd amendment. Did lapierre sit in his office and start fantasizing that the nra is actually the federal government and that he is president or something? Is nra going to start giving local governments grants now for bridges to nowhere?

The whole concept of a private organization that constantly pleads poverty "to save our freedoms" in ten pieces of mail per week, just HANDING $2000 to a government entity, is just laughable. To a GOVERNMENT entity? Did wayne forget that government has the bottomless pit of the taxpayer to steal from?

Instead of joining the nra and sending in my $35, should I just write a check to my local GOVERNMENT entity and write in the memo line "I arbitrarily decide that this donation which makes no sense because I'm giving it to a TAXPAYER funded entity, should go for, uh, how bout, new stickers for the police cruisers."

Even the most die hard nra apologist has got to start wondering if something isn't fundamentally wrong with the nra when it goes around giving your donations to GOVERNMENT entities.

The story only indicated "NRA." I don't question the story's accuracy, but the funds could have come from the NRA Foundation.

Here's part of the NRA Foundation's mission statement...
----------------------------------------
"Through its support of local clubs, law enforcement agencies, youth organizations, hunting and conservation groups, teachers, school children and civic associations, the foundation reaches out to meet the needs of Americans everywhere.
----------------------------------------
Generally grant funds from foundations are recommemded by staff and the CEO and approved by the board of directors. No one just rights checks without due dilligency.

The NRA Foundation, Inc., says it has funded more than 15,000 grants totaling over $100 million.

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure any NRA dues support the Foundation.

Clearly, the NRAF can fund government if it wishes. The NRA is the best friend of gun rights.

Seems as if COUNTY DEPARTMENTS should be finded by county taxpayers, possibly via the state of New York, in this case. Funding by any offshoot of the NRA strikes me as questionable, no matter what the supposed virtues of such funding.

Thank you for the informative comment concerning foundations, however
The NRA is the best friend of gun rights.
Tell that to all of your fellow americans who have been thrown in prison since 1934 for merely owning an item of property, especially heirs who found VALUABLE grandpa's gun when he died. Tell that to your fellow americans who have not been able to exercise the 2nd amendment since 1986 without paying tens of thousands of dollars for one of the few USED guns. Tell that to all of your fellow americans who have lost their 2nd amendment rights because they got in an argument with a family member. Tell that to the thousands of your fellow americans who have been victimized by a BATFE that wouldn't have much power without nra's support of evil "laws" that of course "were all in the past so we should just forget about it" as many nra members love to claim. "Best friend" :rolleyes:

Helping to provide emergency blood clotting medicine to police patrol units that might possibly help save a few lives and garner a well known 2nd Amendment rights organization some positive press...sounds like a good idea to me.

Merry Christmas all.

Helping to provide emergency blood clotting medicine to police patrol units that might possibly help save a few lives and garner a well known 2nd Amendment rights organization some positive press...sounds like a good idea to me.
OK I'll bite. Let's suppose that this "positive press" would somehow translate into future gun rights supporters. Aside from this tiny story that I ran into, where else is this being reported? Let's suppose a few of the cops in the department decide to become nra members as a result (remember, history considers nra to be a gun control group but I digress). What does the nra gain? A few $25 memberships? Spending two grand to MAYBE get a few $25 memberships makes no sense. There are MUCH better ways to get "good press" which bring better returns: how bout nra getting pissed and vocal about all the recent BATFE abuse? It would not cost anything, unless they started paying KT Ordnance's legal bills or something, and it would yield a more fired up membership which would start writing checks.

By the way, if any lives are saved by these first aid items, do you honestly think the media will give a GUN GROUP the credit?

Tooltimey, the news isn't that the NRAF gave a local police dept. a grant to purchase a new clotting agent... The news is that you can't find any good in anything even remotely related to the NRA or what they do.

We get it.

What you don't seem to get is that you aren't gonna change the minds of those who support the NRA, anymore than I could change the minds of those who support the GOA.

Therefore, littering the forum with NRA bashing won't do much good, except that some will just ignore you.

Now this thread is neither legal (the NRA isn't the Congress) nor is it political.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back