NRA cutting staff, salaries, blames Corona virus

LeverGunFan

In addition to the cancellation of the NRA convention this year, NPR is reporting that the NRA has announced layoffs and pay cuts due to the Corona virus. The number of layoffs wasn't disclosed, but the staff work week was cut to four days with a 20% pay cut. Not sure how these cuts are related to the Corona virus. Not a good sign for the NRA in an election year.

Here's the link to the NPR story.

I'd giving the side eye to any thing that is coming from the NPR.

If it's true, let's see what the NRA counter point is.... the truth is some place in the middle.

I have seen that elsewhere. The NRA Convention is a huge moneymaker for them as SHOT is a huge moneymaker for the NSSF. Neither is a bad thing, just is.

I'd giving the side eye to any thing that is coming from the NPR.

If it's true, let's see what the NRA counter point is.... the truth is some place in the middle.

I am a member of a forum that a NRA board member frequents. According to him, it is true. Wayne Lapierre even had to take a 20% cut, which is good, but would be better if he lost his job.

They still have more than one Fudd on the board and several years ago changed the rules to protect them....especially Jouquin Jackson. I'm a lifer but I won't shed a tear for a forced reorg.

20% of a couple million? I hope that doesn't crimp WLP's lifestyle too bad...

He might have to pay for those mailers requesting donations out of his own pocket!!

I am a member of a forum that a NRA board member frequents. According to him, it is true. Wayne Lapierre even had to take a 20% cut, which is good, but would be better if he lost his job.

+1-no way on any green earth is he worth what he has been getting paid.

Join Gun Owners of America (GOA) today and your state Gun owners assn.

Join Gun Owners of America (GOA) today and your state Gun owners assn.

I think, but don't know for sure, the Illinois State Rifle Association requires members to be NRA members also.

That, and the range I belong to does require it.

Also, to compete at the Regional, Sectional and State championship levels, NRA membership is required.

I would not renew my NRA membership if it wasn't required.

Does Wayne care? Nope. He's locked in for life at his current income. There isn't a NRA Board member out there with the nads to butt heads with him.

The NRA has really changed and the days of Harlan Carter are long gone I have been a member since 64 and things sure are different now.

I think, but don't know for sure, the Illinois State Rifle Association requires members to be NRA members also.

That, and the range I belong to does require it.

Also, to compete at the Regional, Sectional and State championship levels, NRA membership is required.

I would not renew my NRA membership if it wasn't required.

Does Wayne care? Nope. He's locked in for life at his current income. There isn't a NRA Board member out there with the nads to butt heads with him.
Seems like your club needs to change its rules. Bring up a rules change at a meeting.

Seems like your club needs to change its rules. Bring up a rules change at a meeting.

I doubt that would happen, as they just made that a requirement a year ago. The club I belong to is hurting for funds, so they made NRA membership mandatory to make them eligible for loans and grants for maintenance / repairs.

I doubt that would happen, as they just made that a requirement a year ago. The club I belong to is hurting for funds, so they made NRA membership mandatory to make them eligible for loans and grants for maintenance / repairs.
So, they sold out.
You can still bring it up and make them deal with the awkward situation. Whenever someone chooses money over morality, I always do my best to publicly put their choice on record.

Last edited:
Political party

I have been a NRA member since the 1960's and today its main role seems to be a balance between being a Political Party and a fund raising corporation. Everything else is on the back burner. Today as a member you are subjected to an onslaught of political adds and fund raising requests. Its more about the politics and money than anything else. It is unacceptable to me that it has become necessary to buy our 2nd Amendment rights and belong to an approved political party. Our Veterans paid with BLOOD for our rights and no enemy foreign or DOMESTIC has the right to take them away.

So, the only way for this club to stay open is require everyone have NRA membership and then milk the NRA for funds? What if everyone paid the equivalent in NRA dues directly to the club?

So, the only way for this club to stay open is require everyone have NRA membership and then milk the NRA for funds? What if everyone paid the equivalent in NRA dues directly to the club?

Good point! Membership at this club is only $75 per year. I'd gladly let them double that, if the extra funds went directly to maintenance and repairs of the building and grounds. $150 per year would still be about half of what other clubs in the area charge.

Back