NRA Annual meeting & Rifle selection

garyo

I got a chance last Friday to go to the NRA Annual meeting in Charlotte NC. It was a real nice show even though I was only there for 3 hours. Ruger and Browning seemed to have the nicest displays. A lot of real good stuff to see, especially handling the guns.

I talked to a Remington rep and voiced my concerns of ftf/extracting problems with the Models 7400/7600 and he says that there is not a semi-auto sporter that does not have those kinds of problems. I said I understand that the Browning BAR is supposed to be pretty good. He did not like that one bit. Oh well. I got a chance to handle the BAR, short action aluminum receiver----boy is it nice! Then on to the Marlin exhibit to see if they had the new 336 stainless steel. They did and IT was nice. Boy would I like to get one of those. Marlin's rep said it should be at the distributor by the end of June at about $75-$85 more than a regular 336. He also said it was made of a solid piece of machined stainless rather than cast. I finally got a chance to examine and handle the Steyr Scout. That is a good handling gun, I can ALMOST understand why it cost $2500.

I thought it was a good show and wished I could stay for some of the events. I watched the news coverage when I got back and the media did a good job in reporting the events. A great clip of Pres. Heston holding a rifle and saying "from my cold dead hands". Awesome.

------------------
Take Care

It was an excellent show. Finally got to see the Much talked about Glock G36. I understand that you recently became an NRA instructor. Do you have any classes lined up yet? I might be interested.

ctl
No classes yet. Maybe this summer, I still have to work out some details with my range.

I forgot I did check out the G36 also. You get a look at the magazine follower? Straight and flat as a board, a weird looking magazine , how the heck did they get it to work correctly?

------------------
Take Care

Yeah, checked out the G36 mag. I have heard a lot of guys have already had trouble with it. Evidently, there is some extra plastic inside the mag tube which can prevent the follower from going back to the top. Most guys have been filing them down. First they called Glock to get replacements, but Glock is telling everyone that they don't have any G36 mags.

gunmart

I'm not sure what a fn pistol or shotgun is. Because of my time constraints I had to move quickly through and just hit the areas of interest to me. There was a lot of interesting stuff though.

------------------
Take Care

The NRA exhibits were great! The Taurus reps in my opinion were the nicest folks there. One gentleman I talked with for about 10 minutes while he was showing me their products was the president of Taurus.....super nice guy!
Seemed like the Heckler&Koch reps were arrogant to me. Friend of mine said he thought the H&K reps were a bunch of rude "A" holes. Seemed like if you did'nt have a LE or Mil look they did'nt have time to answer your questions.
Maybe someone should have told them the NRA convention is not the SHOTshow.

Hay guys, when people are rude, they are telling me they don't want my money. So be it, thier competitors will. I try to be considerate of others and I like doing business with considerate people.

Jim Hall

One of the reasons I ordered a Taurus Model 62 rifle yesterday was the friendliness of the Taurus folks at the NRA convention......plus it's a neat little gun !

Back