Now they want your rifles

I've seent his before, but just to kill some time decided to take a look at it.

Check out the below:

Jane's International Defense Review, a military journal, concludes that "from an operational standpoint, the closest parallel weapon to a 0.50-calibre rifle is probably the 60mm mortar."

WOW! Did Jane's really say that?

I'd love to see the rationale behind that statement!

That summary is from 1999. So far there has not much movement on banning "heavy" "sniper" rifles in my neck of the woods. How about yours? In fact, I had to reach over one in order to hand the guy behind the counter my cash for a box of ammo a couple of days ago. It was very inconvenient!

What a crazy thing to say. How in the world could they compare a .50 to a 60mm mortar? They are not even close in destructive power.

They try to keep a veil on their hostility to all forms of gun ownership, but it seeps through.

Few months ago there was a news article about how some disgruntled student got hold of an inline muzzleloader and walked onto his college campus.

For such a short article, I was impressed, they played up every fear-loaded word they could think of. "Terror scare", they even included terror scare. They had it all. "Deadly", "assault", you name it.

The agenda in this supposedly unbiased article was obvious, they didn't even try to hide it: they implied muzzleloaders were too easy to get and should be restricted like other guns.

And still we have people saying "Oh, that's because the media just don't know any better." Really? I thought when you didn't know any better and were trying to report the news, you erred on the side of neutrality. Silly me.

No surprise there, it seems your average consumer of these news articles thinks the NRA sets up vending machines to sell MAC10's on every street corner. Cause, you know, it's not like there's already some 20,000 gun control laws that might restrict their sale. :rolleyes:

What??? We aren't getting vending machines with MAC 10s'???? I quit!!!! Going over to the Seirra Club right now! That does it!!! :D

The influence of media conditioning is hard to counter, so we must work harder. I remember getting my first gun, a model 29 .44 in 1982. Even in rural Virginia people asked me "Did you get a permit to buy that?".

We ain't talking about downtown Fairfax here either. Now I live in Delaware and every time I get off the range it seems like some poor neophyte walks into the store and asks how they get a permit to buy a gun.

The remedy for bad speech is more speech. We need to "speech out" on these issues.

I like how the article was about the evil .50 cal, but at the end the solution was to

"Bring heavy and intermediate sniper rifles under the control of the National Firearms Act. "

Unless I missed it, the article didn't mention the dangers of "intermediate sniper rifles" or exactly what an intermediate sniper rifle is, but I'd guess I have a safe full of them and they are what I call hunting rifles.

Gotta to love the old bait and switch of the anti-gun groups.

Calling this or that brand/ type/ action of rifle a "sniper rifle" is simply ignorant. It is tossing a label on an object based solely on looks. Do that to a person and you're RACIST, so why does the press get away with it when talking about firearms?

Back