Now I've REALLY Done It!

eagle24

Ordered a 1858 Remington New Army from Cabelas today. I really wanted to order the 1860 Army, but my gut instincts told me the 58 was the better choice for a first BP revolver. If my wife gets to the door before me when UPS shows up I'm blaming you folks on this forum. Especially the ones who have done the really cool antiqueing jobs on your guns. Being the tinkerer that I am, I can't wait to get my hands on it and tear it apart, see how it works, and then strip the finish off so I can apply some of that really cool browning and make it look like it fell out of a time machine.:)

Eagle24, Congrats on a great buy! I have two of them and have for several years now and I really love shooting them. I would suggest a couple things and number one would be to buy a replacement parts kit for the Remington from Cabelas. You will want to do some tuning on that gun and extra parts will really help if you happen to screw up or break a part.
Take the gun apart several times and really get to know it. Smooth up all the parts with a piece of sand paper and a small file. Don't remove any metal that your not sure of. Just smooth all the parts by taking off any burs and so on. You will also want to smooth up the cylinder pin without removing any metal, just smooth out the small ridges. There are also a couple of books you May want to get to help with your tuning , loading and just general knowledge of this great weapon. Have fun and if you have any questions I'm sure someone on here can help you, Mike

Thanks Mike,

I would like to have some info on tuning black powder revolvers as well as some recommendations on where and what to purchase as far as balls, patches, powder measure, flask, lube(s) and whatever else I may need specific to cap & ball shooting. I've been shooting, hunting, and reloading for over 30 yrs. so my knowlege of firearms is pretty good, but this is new ground for me. If there is a good book that will help with tuning, I would be interested in that also. I have put spring kits into my S&W revolvers and have done some honing and smoothing on both S&W and Rugers over the years. I've never done much with the hand and cylinder lockup to improve the timing on a revolver, although I do understand whats going on. Anyway, I would appreciate any input or suggestions from the good folks here.

Greg

They run on the same basic lock-work of a Colt SAA...little real differnce, the parts may be a little differtly shaped, but they perform the same functions. Would not be in too great a hurry to stone parts, have had the guns run right out of the box before. besides, with a little use, will be able to spot the wear patterns and see where some stoning would do some good and where it is just a waste of time.

Can judge the gun just as you would a cartridge gun...cylinder alingment to the bore (take the nipples out to get a good "squint through"). Rotational play...endshake...barrel cylinder gap...all that is the same.

Iggle,

Don't blame the forum if your wife opens the package and says "Why'd you buy such an ugly gun for your first, them Colts look way better!"

Actually, I think the Colts are a better first choice. Easier to dismount, easier to clean, easier to put back together, easier to shoot. AND, if parts do break, easier to replace, not easier to get, just easier to replace, to put back in.

I love my Rems, just love the Colts more, got them first. They're prettier, hands down, they feel better in the hand, but they have worse sights, even though there ain't a pistol made with a longer sighting radius, clear to the cocked hammer tip for the rear. Sorry. A 10 or 12 inch Ruger would be longer, but you get what I mean.

Just too bad you can't see the rear sight unless you sight the gun in and file the hammer tip to get on target.

Ah, never mind, I'm sure you and the missus, she will shoot with you, won't she, will enjoy the experience.

You can get a Colt for your next one. You didn't think 1 was all you would ever buy, did you? Fat chance. Too many models, too many calibres (3) to stop now.

You're condemned. You've come to the DARK SIDE. Your hands are gonna get dirty from the sweet smoke.

Welcome. Post often. Let us know if you really like this. Let us know if the missus likes it. That would be outstanding.

Cheers,

George

George,

Glad to see your reply to my post. I have read many of your post on the forum. I'm starting to figure out the folks who have a lot of experience here. Now I just gotta figure out where yall stand on the different issues, everybody has an opinion and has to take a stand, right? I've got respect for those who will express their opinions. I may not agree, but I will respect their opinion. Here's more info on me and the "missus".

1. Unfortunately, she does'nt care for shooting much. I've got a total of 3 women in the house and all of them, without exception, are all girl. To them, shooting is spelled "s-h-o-p-p-i-n-g". If she beats me to the door, it won't matter whether its a colt or a remmy. It's another gun, and that means a new piece of furniture or something like that.

2. I already agree with you on one thing. The colts are real beauties, I almost ordered the 1860 Army instead of the remington. I just thought that the sights and accuracy of the remington "might" be a little better for a hunting gun.

3. You've probably got me figured out already. I'm sure before it is all over and done I will have some of the colts as well. I have a dozen or so centerfire revolvers, smiths and rugers. I am definitely a wheelgun guy, although I do have a couple of semi-autos. I have considered buying a BP revolver several times in the past, but for some reason I just never pulled the trigger and did it. I think the info I got here helped me have the confidence to order my first one. Thanks

4. I also have a love for the "old days". All my hunting for the last 5 yrs has been with primitive archery equipment (longbow). It has really rejuvenated my love for whitetail hunting. I broke out my "super blackhawk" on the last day of the season this year and took a decent 8-pointer that won the battle with the longbow and I found as much satisfaction in taking this "handgun deer" as I have had with the ones I have taken with the bow. It is amazing how small a deer looks at 40yds in front of a handgun.

5. I already like you folks! I will continue to lurk and learn. Hopefully, I won't wear out my welcome with questions before I know enough to contribute.

thanks, Greg

Greg,
There are no stupid questions. Ask away and learn. Remington Kid also hunts with a primitive bow. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board and the way to glean it is to ask. we al welcome you to the Dark Side.

The Colt has always been more trouble to fully take apart...think Colt could have made almost as much money giving the guns away and selling screws and screw drivers....has to be the British infulence, they also have this passion for using lots and lots of screws (and in their case, the odder and more difficult the screw slot, the better).

For looks, it's no contest, the Colt is a prettier gun. In design, the Remington is the more sturdy, even in the repros. Suffer the same spring problems, but that's due to faulty heat treating more than anything else.

Back