Novice Needs Help

tmh1946

Inactive
Retired Special Forces Officer brought home 1870 Enfield Percussion Cap Musket (battlefield pickup) in 2002 from Afghanistan. Last weekend, I finally took it to the range and some black powder shooters (I am not one) managed to prime and fire the weapon with no adverse consequences. But when we went to clean it out, the rod kind of stuck at the bottom in some gunk which could have been accumulated there since 1870?

My question is this: is there some kind of solvent or secret sauce that I could pour down the barrel which would loosen/dislodge the accumulated carbon residue so that I could clean this weapon properly? Appreciate any guidance or tradecraft that some of you black powder guys could enlighten me about.

Thanks,
Tim

Secret sauce is hot soapy water. If you put a bore brush down there you're going to have fun getting it back out.

Slow and easy will win this race !!!

is there some kind of solvent or secret sauce that I could pour down the barrel which would loosen/dislodge the accumulated carbon residue so that I could clean this weapon properly?
50/50 Ballistol;
1) Plug the nipple and secure barrel veryically
2) Soak and let sit.
3) Scrub with wire jag or 00-steel wool
4) Repeat process, layers at a time.
5) You can also use a scraper if you can make or find a size that fits.

Remember that it took a long time to get that way and slightly less to correct.
It will never be 100% perfect and you will have to live with the results. ... ;)

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Besides Pahoo's method {which sounds pretty good}, you need to order a proper caliber black powder bore brush {the kind that reverses in a bore} along with hot soapy Simple Green solution.

Dixie Gun Works might sell them.

My first thought is that are you sure this thing is safe to fire? I know that in the Middle East there is a flourishing counterfeit market looking to sell convincing antiques to unsuspecting buyers. Sometimes they are well made copies, other times they are good for nothing more than wall hangers. I've heard horror stories of breech plugs being simply crammed into the breech end of the barrel with no threads or anything.

I agree I'd try soaking the barrel with the stuck rod (and patch?) in it.

Worst case the nipple can be removed and a fitting threaded in place and the gun can be pumped full of grease to hydraulically force the rod out.

Steve

Fouled or stuck and fouled ???

the rod kind of stuck at the bottom in some gunk which could have been accumulated there since 1870?
I "might" have missed something. Are you saying that you have a stuck ramrod or just indicating some restriction at the breech end? ..... :confused:

A fellow instructor brought me an M/L rifle that not only had a stuck rod but a broken one. The splintered wood end was in the bore about 4". Took a bunch of soaking and Co2 discharge cylinders to bust it loose. .... :eek:

It appears that it was dry-balled and had sat like this so long, that rust from the barrel, grew or migrated into the patch and around the jag. Was trapped more than stuck. This was the third stuck rod I have removed and hope it's the last. Best part about it is that the instructor now has a shootable M/L rifle and didn't cost him a cent. ;)

Be Safe !!!

I was running a ramrod with a dry patch down a muzzleloader a few months ago and it got stuck and wouldn't come out. I put some powder in the nipple hole and shot the ramrod out into the yard.

If you are saying that the ramrod just sticks slightly in some gunk on the breech face, but then comes out, then yes, you have a gunked-up breech face.

They make attachments for cleaning rods called breech scrapers just for this purpose.

Steve

A barrel scraper may very well be your need. Being the rifle comes from over sea's leads me to believe it has seen allot of homemade B/powder use. And screened to (F) size black powder requires a binder. Many home powder makers make that binder using corn starch. Which over time builds up in a breech and clings to a barrels rifling edge also.
So a barrel scraper is good for the breech and a red brass shotgun brush will clean up your barrels rifling.
Best solvent for the job. Lots of Hot water and Dawn Liquid (detergent) dish soap. If wanting to get fancy about. Mrs Murphy Original Oil Soap works and too will leave your barrel smelling a pleasant pine scent.
Ballistol works & cleans excellent in all B/P applications. But its a bit more spendy than either proposed (above) and too it has a slightly unpleasant smell. i.e. it stinks!!

I generally recommend that the barrel be taken out of the stock before cleaning with hot water. That prevents the stock from getting wet or water getting between the barrel and stock and rotting the wood or rusting the barrel.

Jim

Back