Novak Bar-Dot Tritium Sights, opinions?

8200 rpm

Thinking of installing Novak Lo-Mount horizontal tritium rear bar with tritium front dot.

Has anyone used them? How do you like them?

8200 rpm

I retail the custom 1911 and install night sights. I am not making a plug here. So my comments are from customer observations, my own shooting, retail sales, and my opinion (I caveat here with this: Opinions are many times like what I sit on some smell worse than others, this includes mine.).

The three dot version of the night sight outsell the bar dot about 20 to 1. The order of popularity is three dot. bar dot, single dot and then the rest of the "whatever" configuation to "conflagilation" the gun rags promote.

Colors are next. Three greens 25 to 1 over the yellow, green, yellow, then the YGY at least 20 to one over the rest of the rainbow selection.

I like three dot but my eyes are not what they use to be (age 50) hence I am a proponent of the single dot or ashley express big dot tritium.

Bar dot is an excellent site system and Novak sights has an excellent reputation. It is a good choice.

Call Novaks at 304 485 9295, Kevin Stump or Joe Bonar will answer any questions you may have.

These are not for the sub 1" groups and 50 yard handgun shooting. The sights are designed for fast acquisition at short ranges.

Hope this helps.

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com

Do the research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.

Hey Terry, this is off-topic, but what do you think about the Heinie Slantpro Straight Eight Nitesights? Enquiring minds want to know!

West Texas

The slant pro's are an excellent sight. Heinie decide to slant the sight forward for a change of pace (maybe for more snag free in design). I saw them at the Vegas 2000 Shot Show. The fine vertical serations help with any possible reflection and the design of the sight is relatively snag free. Those little touches show the degree of experience and quality. Notice the slight "dehorn" on the sight.

Heinie is one heck of a "sightologist" as well as a gunsmith. Those little touches show the thought in the design of the sight. That is exactly why the Heinie sight cost more than others. That thought in design shows how you get what you pay for front end or back end.

The Straight Eight is a Bar Dot with the bar being a dot. Straight Eight allows you the shooter a rapid fast acquisition, the accuracy is up to the shooter.

Again I am not a "sightologist". I do the "simple" SIG, Glock and Novak Dovetail cuts on the 1911 (Something has to help pay for the website). I have gotten a few requests for the slant pro (mostly night sights) on the few one man shop guns that pass through.

Be safe and keep the brass flying.

Terry Peters

Terry, sorry to ask another off the topic question, but could you recommend a good fixed, tritium sight setup that gives a target quality sight picture ? I'm not concerned about profile or any other CC concerns, I just don't want to mill my slide for adjustable sights.

MTAA

Depends on the gun. What year, make, caliber, barrel length, finish, and model gun do you have and want sights installed on.

The dovetail or what sight set-up you have dictates what aftermarket sight you can install.

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

8200 rpm,
I have owned several three dot tritium sighted firearms.
I was never completely happy with them.
This fall at a low-light training class, one of the instructors let me shoot his HiPower with Novak's bar-dot night sights on it. Wow! I was amazed at how well this set up worked for me.
My HiPower now has the same set-up on it. They work wonderfully for me. I have shot in three low-light indoor IDPA matches since their installation and there has been a dramatic improvement in my scores
Different strokes for different folks.
I think one of the reasons three dot sights are more popular is that is what manufacturers put on their products, and not as many shooters have seen the bar-dot set up.
If you can try the different set ups under low-light conditions you could make a more reasoned choice. Otherwise you have to go by others opinions.
In any event, Good Luck and Merry Christmas.
Neil Casper

Cat

Three other possible reasons for the popularity of the 3 dot over bar dot is:

One: The number of 3 dot day sights. No transition or habit transfer from day to night. Which correlates with what Neil Casper posted.

Two: When the bars first came out there was a problem with the "bar" breaking as more of the tritium tube is exposed to the "elements." I did have a couple go out due to damage and due to whatever. This was several years ago. I believe (do not know) that the tubes and the protection/durability of the tubes is better.

Three: Machining Cost. It is much simpler and easier to drill three straight holes and have the white ring as a cushion for the tritium tubes. The verticle tube is whole different setup. The cost of two tubes (bar dot) over three tubes (three dot) may pay the difference but that is beyond my knowledge.

Just some more thoughts as to why one may be more popular than the other.

Be safe and keep the brass flying.

Terry Peters

It depends on whether you've tried the different patterns and find a preference for one over another.

I've always found 3 dots to be more annoying than helpful. I prefer either bar-dot or plain sights.

BTW you can't go wrong with either Novak or Heinie. I've used both and find both to be excellent. If you don't mind an adjustable sight, you might also check out MMC. Good luck on your purchase.

Back