Nothing beats confidence in a Rifle/Load

kraigwy

Like 3 goats w/3 shots. 337, 445 and 657 yards. Two dropped in their tracks the third did a back flip and landing where he stood.

All with a cheep rifle, Ruger American Predator, 6.5 CM, Horndady 143 ELD-X pushed with 41.5 gr. Win 760.

Now to switch out some gear and head to the mountains after elk, with all the confidence in the world in this set up.

My sight settings on my Vortex Crossfire lined up perfectly with the come ups and wind adjustments called for in my GUNWERKS G7 BR2 Ballistic Rangefinder. The first generation BR2.

RAO%20and%20Antelope.jpg

I've used the phrase "All married up" for my two pet rifles. Lots of confidence that whatever was in the crosshairs belonged to me.

Encouraging

Kriagwy- That's great! I find it encouraging that folks are able to get that level of performance, and therefor confidence, in products that are considered "budget" or "affordable." It means not all industry manufacturers are turning out junk. I just bought a Ruger American in 7mm08, and I look forward finding the same confidence in it this season!

I have the same rifle, shooting the same bullets, different powder, but great results at the range. I'm REALLY impressed with the Ruger Predators for under $400. I also have one in 308.

I'll probably use the 6.5 here on deer this year, but as you say "nothing beats confidence", and I've been using a 308 for about 10 years that I'm more familiar with and have more confidence in. But by next hunting season the 6.5 may win me over.

Great job,Kraig! And so true!
Folksare probably tired of hearing about my .257...but we have about 25 yrs together.
I just recognize my skills are not the same as yours and wind ...you know.
My max ranges are less. As they should be.

"A Man has to know his own limitations"

I do have confidence and familiarity with that rifle.

Good to see you having fun.

Nothing beats having 100% confidence in a rifle when the chips are down and it's either make the shot or go home empty handed.

I myself have a rifle that I'm 100% confident in. I keep buying rifles that I intend to hunt with, but I keep coming back to the "ONE"

OP very nice goats and very nice shooting.

They might be long for a typical goat hunter.Three clean kills for three shots.

Sot of like when I am standing up,my leg is exactly the right length,ground to butt.

I have seen "typical" goat hunters shoot 17 times at about 350 yds.Even hit the critter 4 or 5 times.

I'm not saying anything about you,Franken.

I've seen plenty of "typical" antelope hunters.

Your equipment is good to go, that's for sure.

But, at least IMHO, your marksmanship skills are top notch and deserve recognition, too!

They might be long for a typical goat hunter.Three clean kills for three shots.

Sot of like when I am standing up,my leg is exactly the right length,ground to butt.

I have seen "typical" goat hunters shoot 17 times at about 350 yds.Even hit the critter 4 or 5 times.

I'm not saying anything about you,Franken.

I've seen plenty of "typical" antelope hunters.
I think you read a bit too much into that, HiBC...

I was referring to kraig's past hunts, specifically.
I thought I remembered him noting in the past that his average shot on pronghorn was about 200 yards.
So, I was curious to see what he had to say about the longer shots: Whether it was a matter of circumstance, or the rifle giving him more confidence in taking longer shots earlier in the season.

There are plenty of dirt bag hunters out there. But my intent was not, by any means, to infer a disfavorable view of kraig's shot choices or question his skill. It was merely an inquiry.

If anyone here was to be viewed disparagingly for their shot choices, it would likely be myself. I have more head shots under my belt (from 25 yd to 550+ yd), than heart or double-lung. ...Far from what most people consider safe and 'ideal'.

Back