Not so ordinary knifes....

geer

I have just seen a knife that stunned me. :eek: I do not know its name,
but it has been used by the members of the Spetsnaz.
OK, check this out: it is about... 8-9 inches; has a plastic handle that has lots of stuff in it, like matches and survival gear. It also has a string to choke ppl with that you can pull out; same string is used for fishing if you're desperate; it has a .22 caliber single-shot gun hidden in it, but thats not it. The most awesome option:
the blade can be detached, or you can press a button and it'll fly out driven by a spring, so you don;t have to throw it: just press the button and replace the blade. Now thats what i call THE KNIFE
Unfortunately, my friend wouldn't sell it.

Do you know of any gadgets like that? Maybe guns or knifes or watches..i dunno?

A similar knive was made here in Venezuela by CAVIM ( a national firearms and ammo manufacturer) and was issued to the troops on the border. It was called the PIRAÑA. Very popular years ago. I don´t know about this days.

ONE TIME IN BAND CAMP.......................................................?

uh...no ont really, i can't play any instruments. by my friend i mean a 6'3" russian whom i came to know and who has 7 black belts in various martial arts...thats why i became interested in martial arts and soviet special forces, because he is bad-arse.
Next comment?

Have you actually seen/handled this knife? Could you post a picture or two? What you describe combines the elements of a number of different knives, the 'Russian' Springblade*, the Chinese Norinco Type 85 .22LR knife-pistol, and a few others.

If the knife you describe is the one I'm thinking of, it probably isn't worth having. Cheap, low-quality steel with indifferent heat treatment, lots of moving parts to break, weak handle, etc.

- Chris

* - There is no evidence that the Springblade knife was ever used by the Spetsnaz, or any other military for that matter.

Gary - Really? Dear God, how could I have been so wrong all this time... ;)

I particularly like the detachable blade 'feature.' What a great idea, to have a designed-in weak spot right where the blade and handle join. So when I'm slicing water chestnuts for my homemade Kung Pao Chicken, or when I'm trying to pry open yet another case of 7.62mm surplus, the blade can 'detach' and leave me with a handle full of matches and dental floss.

- Chris

Have you actually seen/handled this knife? Could you post a picture or two? What you describe combines the elements of a number of different knives, the 'Russian' Springblade*, the Chinese Norinco Type 85 .22LR knife-pistol, and a few others.

I don't have a digital camera, unfortunately.
However, my research on this topic led me to a book called "Aquarium" where such knifes are descibed, although he doesn't say anything about the pistol inside.
P.s. this book isn't anywhere on the net, but here's a great book called "Spetsnaz", its by the same author.
http://www.lib.ru/WSUWOROW/specnaz_engl.txt
i founded to be somewhat tom clancysh, but this guy is for real

Sounds like the knife Radinov had in one of the Gunsmith Cats anime movies. Had a small caliber piston concealed in the grip, and the blade was spring loaded too.

Or how about that fiberwire watch George Bush had in that one episode of the Simpsons? "Here's something we learned in CIA..."

I heard that the real, true Spetznaz knife had a nuclear weapon, a vodka distillery, and a Mig in the handle, along with the matches and string.

Don't know about the .22 gun, but a bunch of these were advertised for sale ~15 years ago in Shotgun News & Soldier of Fortune as 'Spetznatz knives'. One was even used in an episode of an old TV show called "The Equalizer".

Don't know how accurate or lethal the spring-launched blade would be though.

If I remember correctly, the original hollow handle knife idea came from “Bo” Randall (as in Randall knives). I believe I read that he made it at the urging of an airman for a last ditch survival tool. Something the airman could have and be the only thing he had. Still not sold on the idea, but I imagine if anybody could make a workable one it would be Randall.

On the “spring loaded blade launching platform” knife thingy, I knew a guy a while back that was born in Aruba and he told me that they had something similar down there and they would shoot blades at lizards and try to cut off their heads. According to him it was possible to get one from “across the room” distance. Of course, I have to add that I was a wide-eyed 12 year old, and he was a former Marine so I have e feeling he yanked my chain on more than a few things now and again. So I guess the moral of this story is, maybe they were accurate and maybe not. :p :D

Marbles and, I think, Case had hollow-handled knives from as far back as the 1930's. They never billed them as anything but a built-in matchsafe, though. Randall popularized them in the 60's, but Lile (through the Rambo movies) did so even more in the 80's. The various models that use a stub tang joined to a tubular handle vary in strength from acceptable to poor.
Reeve makes a whole series of models based on machining the blade and handle out of a single bar of steel. They are as strong as the original steel bar, it would seem.
Russell has offered several models over the years that have a full tang with a slot milled out of it. This slot can be accessed through a little removable plate in the handle, giving you a small storage space. I think Randall used the same idea in his astronaut knife. Quite rugged.
I own a couple knives with storage space in the handles, but I don't actually keep anything in any of them.

According to him it was possible to get one from “across the room” distance

personally, i have never seen one used. But in his book "Aquarium" the fromer spetsnaz member, Suvorov, says that it would penetrate a pine-tree from 20 yards away; the onlu inconvinience was that in order to put a new blade in one would have to stick it in the ground, put a handle on it and press with all his weight.

"would penetrate a pine-tree from 20 yards away"

Sounds like we should be reading a physics textbook instead of "Bad Arse Spetsnaz" fiction:)

Back