not original I know... but kinda cool... thought I'd share...

just bought this ( haven't recieved it yet ) I believe it's a S&W 1.5 single action spur trigger in 32 S&W the barrel was shortened professionally, long ago & likely re-nickeled at that time, as the muzzle looks normal, & the wear to the barrel finish matches the rest of the gun...

maybe belonged to some famous gun fighter or law man long ago ??? kinda why I like collecting these old guns... it's supposed to be in time & fully functional... ( I've been shooting alot of these with light Trailboss loads & lead round balls, & have been getting terrific accuracy out of several of my top break 32 S&W snubbies )... can't wait to get this one home & give it a look see...

thoughts ???

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Spur trigger snubbie 1.jpg
    Spur trigger snubbie 1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 5,312
  • spur trigger snubbie 2.jpg
    spur trigger snubbie 2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,541
Go's to prove that people have always been modifying their own personal weapons to fit their needs. I bet some cave man looked at his club and said " I betcha that if I shorten the handle I could carry it under my shorts ". Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could find out the history of such items. I would think a big city detective carried it for back up or undercover work.

The front sight looks to be original, are you certain it has been shortened? Can you post a close up pic of the front sight and barrel (broadside)? Anyway after studying many old time gun fights, many shooters shortened their handgun barrels. They had the same problems modern gun carryers encounter. Consealability and comfortable carry. A gun was carried far more than it was ever shot. Brigiam Young had a bodyguard-assasin that worked for him. This man carried a severely shortened Colt model 1860. He called it "THE AVENGING ANGEL".

No, the front sight is not original; the original sights were very thin blades that are almost invisible in other than perfect lighting conditions. That one looks like it would be much more practical.

The barrel has been shortened, the originals are crowned and the short barrels are tapered so they are thinner at the muzzle. Plus that barrel looks shorter than even the shortest standard length, 3 inches.

Production on the 1 1/2 began in 1878 (to 1892, total 97,574), so it avoids the complex extractor system of the Baby Russian (and the Russian) and uses a much simpler and more durable system. It is a good, reliable gun.

Jim

The seller didn't take a pic of the top of the barrel... but this was part of the description

Offering a short barrel 5 shot S&W Model 1 1/2 S&W spur trigger revolver cal. .32S&W. The bore and cylinders are vg, nickel is also vg for it's age and showing honest handling. The action is very tight and indexes perfectly. The left black rubber grip is chipped on the bottom, right side is perfect. Ser. #567xx. When the barrel was shortened [good neat job] it did away with the co. name and some of the pat. dates, original front sight was retained. The 1877 date remains. This model has the strain screw adjustment, rebounding hammer for safety, automatic ejection when opening and first in the break open style.

I also doubt that it was the original sight, as the couple other break open S&W's I own, have much thinner sights... but I think my other spur trigger ( a Hopkins & Allen solid frame ) has a thicker front sight blade than my other H&A top breaks ???

a couple more pics that were available for the auction... I can certainly take a few others when it gets here...:D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Spur trigger 3.jpg
    Spur trigger 3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,270
  • spur trigger 4.jpg
    spur trigger 4.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:
BTW... I'm doing something very similar to this with a blued 38 S&W US Revolver made by Iver Johnson, & the thin part of the top rib gets progressively thicker the further you get from the muzzle, so we are able to use a thicker front sight on the modified 38 than what came on it... the originl front sight was very thin, & actually had gotten bent, so the gun didn't shoot to point of aim... I could have just bent it back, but had been looking for a very short barrel 38 S&W for my chrony & load testing, since this was a solid gun, but nothing special & it's easier to cold blue the changes than to spot fix the nickel on a nickeled gun we decided on this one... I am thinking about cross hatching the top sight rib to get rid of the partial maker ( there are no patent dates on this gun ) then re-stamping US Revolver in the latch area of the top of the barrel ( not trying to decieve anyone, just want to remind myself down the road, that this was originally a US, not an Iver, if I should ever replace the original US grips ( which are in great condition ) with some fancier aftermarket grips, so I can keep the originals in good shape

I suspect that when this gun was modified, they dicovered the same thing, & duplicated the original front sight out of thicker, more shooter friendly material...

Last edited:
That is a very cool gun.......I have a S & W 1 1/2 and it is a treat to shoot...If it wasn't in such great shape I would cut it down......

thanks... I was hoping it would get here this week... but as most things in internet sales, where they don't take a credit card, I'm at the mercy of the postal system both ways...

...coincidentally I just bought a match to the 32 spur trigger in 38 S&W, that the end of the barrel's nickel is really damaged on... I think I'm going to make a match to this one in 38 S&W out of it... already have it set up with my local machinist / builder, as he just finished shortening my US Revolver 38 S&W ( BTW... I'm not going around just butchering up old guns, I haven't been able to find any "reasonably priced" 38 S&W snubbies, & I wanted a 38 S&W snubbie for load testing with my round ball loads & chrony, & this old blued gun was the only one I was willing to chop ) but also since the original end of barrel is so ugly on my new spur trigger 38, a match to my 32 would be pretty cool...

I'll have to see about posting some pics of my shortened U.S. Revolver ( Iver Johnson ) "custom" snubbie, it just got completed last week, & I'm hoping to shoot it some this weekend... we even re-stamped in front of the barrel latch "US Revolver" ( because the original stamping was cut off ) not to decieve anyone, but in case ( as I get old & forgetfull ) I decide to pull the original & perfect grips off, & replace them with an aftermarket set, so I'll remember that it was a US & not an Iver...

32 &38's

Magnum: I've been reading your posts about the old 32's and 38's break opens and I'm interested in them too. I'm too the point where I'm looking for fun things to collect, but are shootable. Are most of them (H&R, U.S. Revolver,,Hophins & Allen, ETC.) not capable or made to shoot modern cowboy load ammunition? I see you reload for yours, but since I'm reload dumb, I'm not sure what bullet type your using when you say "ball". Could you post a pick?

What powder do you use to reload for the 32's. I'm interested in the Trailboss powder reloads. I'd love to see your collection. I'm searching for one to make it a BBQ gun to replace my current BBQ gun (Colt Hammerless in 32ACP).

Thanks for the intetrest...

I'm too the point where I'm looking for fun things to collect, but are shootable.

that pretty much sums up where I'm at / what I'm doing... I'd like to ad a couple bigger bore guns as well, but the price on those goes up pretty fast on anything bigger than a 38 S&W... so those will come... just slower & later

I think there are several powders that are good to use with these old guns... Trailboss was where I started... I'm just starting to expirement with PB & will have a few loads to try over the summer with that powder...

I'm currently using "round balls" I bought these through Midway for the 32's...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=786830

& had a guy over at the Cast Bullet Forum cast me 500 .360" balls for the 38... I've also been starting to expirement with lighter weight cast bullets... & Trailboss... but these loads will only be used on tighter, stronger, smoother guns... ( of what I have, maybe 1 in 7 or 8 will IMO, be ok for bullet loads )

but again IMO, 0.7 grains of Trailboss & that Hornady round ball are safe in any top break 32 in reasonably good shape, & that times good enough to shoot... those .360 round balls, & 0.5 cc of Trailboss should be safe for any reasonably good 38 S&W that times good enough to shoot...

This thread here has a pic of my BBQ gun, a factory engraved, nickel Hopkins & Allen Safety Police in 32 S&W, with a Vintage tooled Heiser holster...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398816

Here is a link to a thread in the reloading section, where I give out some of my starting loads... there is a picture of my completed loads with the round balls, & several of my different guns are also pictured...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392794

note that my starting loads posted here & in the threads I linked are so low a pressure, that the cases do not even expand to the chamber dimensions, however, I have measured guns cylinder throat diameters, & barrel diameters, that measure tighter than specifications for the cartridge require, so exesssive pressures can arise from otherwise "normal" loads ( like factory cowboy loads ) in these guns... so be carefull, even if your gun appears to be in great shape... it would be really sad to damage either it or you... if at all possible, slug both the cylinder throats, & the barrel before shooting... also nearly all of these guns are going to have pits in the barrels to some degree... those pits can add resistance to the bullet as it trys to go down the barrel, & can raise chamber pressures significantly as well...

AS A WARNING, NO LOAD IS GOING TO BE SAFE TO SHOOT IN A DAMAGED OR EXCESSIVELY WORN GUN, IF YOU DON'T FEEL COMPETENT DETERMINING IF YOUR GUN IS SAFE TO SHOOT, HAVE IT LOOKED OVER BY A GUN SMITH PRIOR TO SHOOTING... THERE ARE TONS OF THESE GUNS OUT THERE WITH BROKEN CYLINDERS, & CRACKED BARRELS FROM PEOPLE SHOOTING SMOKELESS LOADS IN DAMAGED OR EXCESSIVELY WORN GUNS... MOST OF THIS ERA OF GUNS WERE DESIGNED & BUILT FOR BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGES... THE MACHINING METHODS WERE CRUDER, THE STEELS WERE NOT AS GOOD, & A GOOD NUMBER OF COPY CAT IMPORTS FOUND THEIR WAY INTO THE COUNTRY, THAT HAVE SINCE BEEN DETERMINED, THAT THEY WERE NOT SAFE TO SHOOT WHEN THEY WERE NEW... I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AT LEAST ASKING AROUND ON THIS FORUM, & TAKING SOME PICTURES, TO GET SOME OPINIONS ON ANY GUN YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH

Last edited:
Took a couple pics of that US revolver in 38 S&W...

sorry for the pic quality... camera ( like it's owner ) is old :o took off 1.75" of barrel & made the front sight thicker & more user friendly... stamping "US REVOLVER" in the top strap was more complicated than one would think... there is a spring loaded plunger under the stamping, that needed a spacer block added, so the machined tube did not colapse during stamping & the under side is radiused... coupled with the fact that this was not hardened steel, & in fact was quite soft... I think it turned out pretty good for what I have into the gun...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Guns 005.jpg
    Guns 005.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,804
  • Guns 007.jpg
    Guns 007.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 529
  • Guns 008.jpg
    Guns 008.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,297
Last edited:
oldies

Magnum: Thanks for the picks and reply. I found your post in the reloading section after I posted this. After reading all your info., I got with a bud who is reload savy. He already has a toy that is fit to shoot, now all I have to do is find a good one. I'll try and not bid against ya!!! With the info you've given and his knowledge were going to start working on some loads. We want some rounds to plink with and maybe dispatch a armadillo or possum.

I'll be watching for your info on the PB and boolit's testing info. Are you planning on adjusting your sights to your loads to be on at POA or adjust your loads? Be safe and good shooting.

so far I'm trying to adjust my loads for the existing sights... my round ball loads shoot reasonably to point of aim...

looking forward to picking up some guns tomorrow...:D

got the gun yesterday...

yes... it appears to have been shortened long ago, no idea if it belonged to a crook, a cop, or maybe even a high class hooker ??? but it appeared to have had the barrel re-nickeled, probably long ago, at the time of shortening, as the muzzle & "non original front sight" still have matching nickel on it, & the barrels nickel finish matches the rest of the gun as far as wear...

the functional condition is excellent, couldn't have asked for a better condition gun as far as function goes, it's very tight, & the bore is very good...

this gun has birds head grips... not sure if all the 32's did or not, but my S&W 38 spur trigger does not... the grips are not numbered to the gun, so I'll have to try to find a replacement for the chipped one, & or get some pearl grips made up for it from Tombstone

the gun shoots great, hope it's nice enough this weekend to put a few more holes in some paper with it... & I even had a holster on hand that fits it like a glove... nothing fancy, just an old Hunter brand holster I'd kept around, because it fit my Colt 25 auto

here are a couple of new pics...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• spur trigger & holster 4.JPG
    spur trigger & holster 4.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 643
  • spur trigger & holster 2.JPG
    spur trigger & holster 2.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 4,078
  • spur trigger & holster 3.JPG