not new to BP

gasmandave

It's funny, I was into BP back in the 70'a then got out of it until this past year. I don't ever remember it being this complicated. Back then you poured BP in the cylinder a much as you could and still seat a ball, a little grease and a cap and off to have fun. Now it seems you have to measure out the right load, make sure you fill the void with a wad, seat a ball, the proper size, use bore butter our grease and clean after 6 to 12 shots!?! What's up with that? I guess I was just ignorant back in the day...but I had lots of fun! :)

If you're just interested in making a bang and putting a hole in something, you can certainly do just what you described. You probably won't end up with an optimal load in terms of accuracy, however.

Steve

I never bothered with wads or filler, or swabbing the bore/cleaning after X shots. I'm no target shooter and I don't pretend to be one. Powder, ball, lube, cap, fun.

At 15 yards, I would think doing just that would be more than sufficient for self defense use.

The sights on most, but not all cap and ball revolvers are crude at best- these things were meant for minute of body accuracy terms from the period of the War of Northern Agression. ;)

Of course, better metered loads do make them shoot tighter, depending upon how tight the feller behind the trigger can hold it.
Depends upon what 'yer hunt'n....targets or critters.

Back