Not like any of you would do this...

Gene Beasley

Found this on Drudge.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX THURSDAY, DECEMBER 30, 1999 14:01:55 ET XXXXX

LOS ANGELES USING SATELLITE TRACKING TO CATCH Y2K SHOOTERS

Los Angeles police are planning to use satellite tracking to thwart troublemakers on New Year's Eve!

L.A. county sheriff Lee Baca says new technology from the Department of Defense will help track people who fire guns into the air to celebrate the holiday.

The new system, according to officials, will pinpoint gunfire using audio sensors and a global positioning satellite system.

A government entity using a satellite to track citizens is a controversial new development in American law enforcement procedures.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Filed by Matt Drudge
Reports are moved when circumstances warrant http://www.drudgereport.com for updates
(c)DRUDGE REPORT 1999
[/quote]

------------------
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed—and thus clamorous to be led to safety—by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”—H.L. Mencken

IIRC, in '97-'98 Miami just used PSAs to remind the idiots who shoot into the air that the bullets gotta come down somewhere. Worked pretty well; 3 wounded, none serious, no fatalities.

Of course, why go with the subtle route when they can simply stomp everyone at once?

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Yup. They can't find a sniper in a serbian wheat field but they can pinpoint shooters in L.A. amidst all those car back-fires and fireworks on new years eve. Sounds like they're grasping at straws trying to keep people in line (will probably work though).

Common sense sez only an idiot would shoot a firearm into the air in a metro area, but if you gotta... aim for the satellite! ;)

If I recall correctly, some European ruler of 16c had tried to shoot down a comet...with predictably minimal success. OTOH, news helicopters might make news if they fall out of the sky...

TV coverage said that the system to locate gunshots cost upwards of 200,000 dollars per square mile of coverage. Kinda makes you wonder why they would spend that kind of money just to catch a few idiots on New Years Eve or 4th of July.
No, they are just testing the system for future use to control us hard nose types. Anytime we practice shooting for any reason they will know. They want to know our every move!!!!!

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

I rather expect that the number of Happy New Year shooters in Los Angeles will completely overwhelm the system. Sheriff Baca is blowing smoke up the Los Angeles public's arse.

...and I thought that Sheriff Baca was one of the "good guys" out there. I guess that's what I get for thinking. Will this madness ever end?

------------------
ff ...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make.

Wonder how they are going to treat the person who loads their own without lead.... Load up a 12 gauge blank. Don't think anyone would be hurt by a little paper wadding floating back to earth.

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!

Well, I don't know about the other side of the country, but an 18 yr old girl was shot in Underground Atlanta shortly after midnight. The police believe some rocket scientist fired a round in the air, forgetting (or not caring) about that cardinal rule about up & down.

The good news is she's doing fine. But says she's never coming back to Atlanta. Don't blame her one bit.

And all this time, I thought the Hubbell was looking at the galaxies, and heavenly bodies.

Some of the technology of Desert Storm being applied to curb disident activities on all fronts.

For a better appreciation of that technology we paid for, goto the following link:
http://www.terraserver.com/

it might shed some light on what ie most assuredly available to gov agencies. Such as with the GPS units, we get accuracy to 100-300 meters, the gov can get sevearl centimeters resolution. Cruise missile stuff.

Best Regards,
Don

Back