not Impressed with copper solid 9mm ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glock Raider

Bought some fedral 9mm with a copper solid bullet from ammoman.com. It was accurate and cycled fine except I had two rounds that failed to fire. Primer was dented even tried to fire in another gun nothing. This ammunition has non-toxic primers(non mercury)I understand these primers are more likely to degrade in heat, and do not last like normal primer as time passes. I am not mad at anyone ammoman or fedral, I just bought them to shoot paper and tin cans ect...but I will not buy any ammo with non-toxic primers again. BTW I only fired 50 rds and had two bad shells

[This message has been edited by Glock Raider (edited September 05, 1999).]

The failure rate for lead-free primers can be anywhere from 2 to 5%. The storage of the primers themselves before being introduced to the cartridge case, how long the primed brass sits, etc. can effect the ignition properties of the primer.

This is a problem the entire industry is trying to solve. Contact Federal and let them know of your problem. If that was our ammo I'd want the user to call. It's sometimes the only way a manufacturer will find out there is a problem with a given lot number of ammo.

Fernando

OK Fernando,you convinced me I still have about 9 boxes of this stuff.so after shooting some more I will report the failure rate to fedral. I have used your product never had any problems.Good Stuff :)

Wasn't there something about copper bullets being illegal due to their increased armour piercing capabilities or am I thinking of a different metal ?

------------------
Mike H

I have been using the same ammo in my GLOCKS without any failures.I'm almost thru my second case.It's 115 grain, but it fails to cycle in my HK P7,so I use 124 gr. in that gun.I'm impressed with how clean the guns are after a range session.A few wipes of a rag, and 2 or 3 patches thru the bore and I'm finished.If I have any trouble with miss fires I'll report on it later.

Greetings,

I bought 1000 rounds of the same from www.ammoman.com

I am about 1/2-way through it.

Just one complaint: it is the least accurate of any 9 mm I've fired in my Sig P226.

I like the clean-up factor, the lack of lead factor, and I enjoy the extra deep hole it makes in my targets. I do not know of an AP effects, but I have't tried/tested that aspect.

Overall, I like it. Good enough for what I use it for: practice and fun.

Duncan

I believe FL (and possibly other states) have a law that says no solid copper bullets. However, they seem to be perfectly legal here in TX.

The ATF part of possible interest concerning these bullets is:

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger
than .22 caliber designed and
intended for use in a handgun and
whose jacket has a weight of more
than 25 percent of the total weight of
the projectile.

BUT, since this is all copper, there is no "jacket". Hence, it is not AP

Duncan

Interesting. Perhaps "Here we go again."

If suppressors were embraced for their original purpose, lots more of us would still have our hearing. The purpose of full copper rounds is for environmental reasons. If the ATF starts calling their purpose "armor piercing", even I will start to loose my temper!.
Rich

Just obtained a few rounds of Federal Hydra
Shok's in 9m/m. These rounds were left at the
range by a distingushed Federal agency; who
were using them to qualify with. The range
master came them to me; they appear to be
the 115 grain HP's. Nothing fancy; as we as
civilians get purchase all this ammo that we
want?

------------------
Ala Dan

Point of small correction:

The non-toxic primers are free of lead. Lead Styphanate is still the most reliable and best powder-lighting compound around without barrel- or brass-destroying properties.

Mercury fulminate was the first. Left salts in the bore to promote rust. Mercury would penetrate the brass and make it dangerously brittle to reload.

Sodium Chlorate primers were next, and reigned supreme from about the turn of the century until finally taking over military production in the early to mid-50s. They light things up real good, but leave salt in the bore.

Current lead styphanate is great stuff, but contributes a lot of the airborne lead that we're worried about in indoor ranges.

I Stand corrected :)(another in a long list of mental slipups when rambling)Anyway I am still getting faliures to fire in sevral differn't pistols.Glock 17,sig226,eaa witness.So far out of 250rds (7)have had primer failure.I will send fedral a letter after I use the other 250 up

[This message has been edited by Glock Raider (edited September 10, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back