Nosler Ballistic Tips for distance shots

Jack O'Conner

sdoct05paulbuckkid.jpg

This is a buck/kid antelope taken last month in western South Dakota. A genuine trophy on the dinner plate. Trouble with herd bucks is that they're stinky as an old goat. Best antelope eatin' meat is a barren doe or youngster buck. Meat is similar to the best lamb.

This 760 Remington has been putting meat in our freezer for decades. It is a .243 which is just fine for mulies and 'lopes. I discovered that Black Hills Ammo makes a super accurate load featuring the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Pump actions in-accurate? Don't believe it. This one shot kill was delivered at approximately 275 yards.
TR

Nice 'lope, Jack!

Question about that pump: I've wanted one for a long time. However, I'd like to know how difficult it is to disassemble the rifle and remove the bolt for cleaning. Thanks!

The Remington pumps shoot very well. That free floated barrel really helps. I don't know how hard it is to remove the barrel, but I don't "think" there's much to it.

Best book on the market: Remington Autoloading & Pump Action Rifles - by Eugene Myszkowski. I bought my copy through Amazon.com

Everything you ever wanted to know is in this book.

The 760 and 7600 are easily and cheaply re-barrelled by any competant smith. I've been considering a custom 6.5mm Swede barrel for this .243. I met a hunter two years ago who had his .308 rebarrelled for .358. Told me it cost him $75. labor plus barrel. That's affordable! And he can switch back to .308 whenever he wants.
Jack

Nice shooting JoC and +1 on young bucks and does for eatin.
Looks like very cold fingers there! snow in background etc.

Nosler also makes a ballistic tip for Winchester known as the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip.

attachment.php

Very accurate. I use them in my .270 for deer.

Nice shooting by the way. ;)

Trip20, looking at the cutaway, I can understand their comment about "penetrates better". You only lose the front end of the bullet to expansion, and that thicker rear jacket oughta hold together quite nicely. The Sierra .308 150-grain SPBT has a thinner jacket, and will tend to blow up at above 3,000 ft/sec.

Back in my .270 daze in the 1960s, I used the Rem Bronze Point 130-grain. Worked well, and also used the 150-grain in the '06. One of my longer '06 deer shots was around 350 yards, and the exit wound (after hitting a rib on the way out) was around two inches. Didn't have to worry about a blood trail, though; DRT.

My father used the old Hornady 150-grain Spire Point in his '06 for some 30+ years. Lord knows how many deer he killed; he was always "helping" on various poker/whiskey leases. His high year, he once said, was 32. Anyhow, the bullet works to 500 yards, per numerous witnesses over the years.

Art

Art, I see what you mean.

I don't know much about big-game bullets, but I'm wondering why that article snippet says "Use it on: Deer, Antelope." See the bottom where it sums up the Strong Points, Weak Points,...etc.

With the penetration possibilities, I wonder why this isn't recommended for thicker skinned game & big game, instead of just the thin-skinned medium sized stuff like deer and antelope. :confused:

Maybe you can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks.

The Noser Ballistic Tips are noticeably tougher now than when they first came out. They pretty much exploded then and got a reputation that has stuck despite the changes.

I've powered 140gr Combined Technology (the Winchester/Nosler Silvertips) .284 bullets through Whitetails at 3400fps.

I took a hog this weekend with the winchester ballistic tips and they performed excellent. I was shooting a 7mm with the 150 gr ballistic tips and the hog weight right at 250 lbs. I stepped it off at 215 yards. I hit it about 3 in behind the shoulder midway up and it passed through both lungs and broke its back. The exit hole was about 1 in. The only experience that I had with the ballistic tips were with my .243 right after the came out and I was not impressed at all. They pretty much exploded on contact. This hog dropped in his tracks and kicked about 5 times before it was lights out. Atleast with the 7mm rounds, I wouldn't hestitate to use it on anything up to large mule deer. I've been wanting to try out the winchester accubonds since the jacket is alittle thicker, but with the ballistic tips performing as well as they did, I don't think I'll be switching over right now.

Trip, I think Lycanthrope's comment sums it up pretty well. I've read the same sort of commentary.

We had a discussion here a few years back about various bullets and their intended performance plus what folks had discovered in the field. I emailed the Sierra folks, and one of them joined in.

For instance: I've had excellent accuracy from all Sierra bullets, from .22 on to .30. Flat base or boat tail: All performed very well. Uniformly tight groups in .223, Swift, .243 and '06.

But: The .308 150-grain SPBT has a thinner jacket than the same bullet in flat base. If you drive it above some 2,900 or so, it will blow up at close range, as I discovered on a big mule deer. It was a neck shot at no more than 30 yards, so he never moved--but there was no exit wound. My guess is that had the muzzle velocity been no more than maybe 2,800, and the buck had been out at 100 yards or more, there would have been full penetration and an exit wound.

I've used that load on deer at 200 and more, and it's always been DRT with an exit wound, even on chest shots.

The same problem does not exist with the Sierra 180-grain SPBT; thicker jacket.

Anyhow, it helps to look at cutaways of the various bullets, and consider the particular performance you can expect--as well as the probable ranges to your desired critter. Lotsa variables.

Art

Back