Northwood Ghost Rings

stagpanther

After rescuing my rossi 44 mag (I love that gun--but it really is one of the sloppiest-made weapons I've ever purchased) I fiddled some more with the new Northwood ghost irons.

Being firmly established in "geezerdom" my eyesight has been gradually getting worse with each passing year--but there's something inherently satisfying about shooting a lever gun with irons. The Northwood ghost ring is the closest to "giving me hope" of any irons I've tried so far.

So here is a group of one of my pet 240 gr xtp hunting loads at 51 yds; 5 shot group. It seems OK to me--except for the one "flier" at bottom left--though I don't know if that's the right term since the front post covers the entire target at that distance. Assuming I can consistently do around this accuracy--is this what others here would feel is adequate for hunting deer? (assuming I set the shot up carefully)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 44-mag-24.3-H110-240-xtp-51yds.jpg
    44-mag-24.3-H110-240-xtp-51yds.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 199
What's it do at 100? 4", off hand, at 100, is good enough for deer though. Think 9" pie plate at 100.
Ghost rings are for speed is darkish places.

In the thick woods of Maine 100 yds is a very rare shot, and one I probably wouldn't take with only irons even if it presented itself (at least with my present level of skill)--but I will take it out to that distance next just out of curiosity. 4" at 100 freehand with irons? That sounds VERY VERY good to me! I usually shoot off a rest of some sort--even when hunting. But I will practice more off-hand.:)

4" off hand at a hundred yards. Iron sights. Five shots? Hahaha! VERY few can do that. I'm not talking "internet groups".

I tried a dozen shots at 100 yds today--using a rest. It did not go well--in fact calling my shooting abysmal would be generous.:o

stagpanther, The best advice I can give is part of what T. O'Heir said. Using a 9" paper plate as a target. In a hunting position, rested on something, sitting, whatever. Start at 25 yards and shoot 5 shots. Move back 10 yards at a time. The first time you miss, that is the maximum distance you should shoot at a deer. It doesn't matter if you don't have the ability to shoot 100 yards. What matters is that you either practice until you can or don't shoot at anything that far. Have fun with those sights and good luck!

stagpanther, The best advice I can give is part of what T. O'Heir said. Using a 9" paper plate as a target. In a hunting position, rested on something, sitting, whatever. Start at 25 yards and shoot 5 shots. Move back 10 yards at a time. The first time you miss, that is the maximum distance you should shoot at a deer. It doesn't matter if you don't have the ability to shoot 100 yards. What matters is that you either practice until you can or don't shoot at anything that far. Have fun with those sights and good luck!
Great advice--thanks!:)

The ammo does have something to do with it.
You might want to experiment with different bullets, both in style, weight and diameter.
Your "abysmal" shooting might not attributed to just you.
Then again, getting to be a good shooter isn't always possible on your own.
Getting help in that regard will greatly speed things up.

The ammo does have something to do with it.
You might want to experiment with different bullets, both in style, weight and diameter.
Your "abysmal" shooting might not attributed to just you.
Then again, getting to be a good shooter isn't always possible on your own.
Getting help in that regard will greatly speed things up.
Most people in my neck of the woods have retired from shooting lever guns--but your point is well taken. When I had a scout scope on this same rifle my 240 gr xtp load with 24.3 grs of H110 could occasionally turn in MOA and slightly under at 100--used it for many years.

Back