Northern California Plinking Areas

darncar

Inactive
Hello,

Was wondering where I might go and shoot a few cans in Northern CA. The restrictions at ranges in this state are a little tedious (no double tapping or rapid fire). Someone told me there is some federal land in Mendocino county where a there is a collection of scrap put there for the purpose of the above. Is this true and does anyone know where it is?

Thanks,

Dave

As far as Mendocino county goes, I do not know a thing. Sorry.

However, if you live in the Bay Area, there is a place out Livermore way. (I've not been there myself, but a friend from work turned me on to the availability of this place; I intend to make my way there soon enough, however.)

Anyway, these are the directions that were given too me:

1. From San Francisco, get on 580 East.
2. Go out towards Livermore.
3. Take Vascoe Rd. exit and head south till it stops at a 'T' intersection.
4. Turn left and head east (I do not know the name of this road).
5. Go all the way to the end of this road up into the hills.
6. My friend was a little vague on what to look for next, but he says on the weekend, that by 10 AM, there should be some people shooting and "you'll be able to figure it out, or you can ask them".

I think he was a little vague just so I would have to be that much more determined to go. Can't have "his" shooting place filled up with yahoos, I guess.

Though I doubt this helps you much, since you specifically asked about Mendocino, perhaps so other California can benefit.

Thanks for bringing up a good questions.

I know I would like to hear from others who know of spots in NorCal.

Duncan

Lawrence-Livermore National Labs is in that area. They have plenty of land; maybe they'd let you shoot there. ;)

darn car
There are lots of places on public land to shoot/hunt/plink in Mendocino county. Contact the BLM's Ukiah Field Office for info. They have a pretty good website, but I don't have the address handy at the moment. Maybe another member could list it.
If you live in the Bay Area, contact the BLM's Hollister Field Office as well for places to shoot to the south of SF.

Duncan
Thanks for the directions. Back in the mid 80's (pre-windmills) Altamont Pass Road had a few good spots, but not anymore (D#MN windmills). I'll have to try to find your Livermore spot this weekend. Just follow the road until you hear shooting, eh? I looked on the map and Tesla Road ends up in Tracy. Hmmm. Could you be a little more specific? TIA

Just one of the Good Guys

I should have read this thread earlier. Cow Mountain is just east of Ukiah and they actually have a range. If you go further north try Jackson State Forest. Lots of good shooting areas. If you want to get really out there and undisturbed go through Covelo into the Mendocino National Forest. Check out Alaska ridge. This is a HUGE forest with lots of access. Be careful though, the locals are not always friendly...do do do do do do do do do...suey (poor Deliverance impression) ;)

email me for further info

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Mendocino (edited August 05, 1999).]

Good Guy,

I wish I could give you better directions, but, what I typed out is all I know. My buddy is a little protective and definitely likes to people to do some of the work themself; hence didn't tell me how far out Tesla Rd. I need to go or even if I need to stay to the left when the road forks or whatever.

Sigh.

Maybe if I buy my friend a beer or four, I can weasel out the exact directions, but I doubt it.

See the following web page for the best overview of the area I can provide:
http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&YY=544&addr=1%20Vascoe%20Rd&city=Livermore&state=CA&slt=37.6819&sln=-121.7670&mlt=37.6674&mln=-121.6603&mag=8&cs=5&newmag=7

I hope this helps.

I cannot go looking this weekend due to prior engagements, but perhaps next. Then I will come back here and post exact directions.

Duncan

Back