Northeast Gun Laws

SamHouston

I'll be the 1st to admit I don't understand the gun laws of many Northeast States. We just returned from visiting a son in Boston and the citizens of that great city are very proud of their American Revolution heritage. It appears like they would have trouble today fighting that same war and we'd still be subjects of the Queen (not Hillary). At least in Texas, we still have some independent spirit that survives from our past and the ability to pull it off.

Did you mean "Boston" or did you mean "Northeast?" Vermont and New Hampshire make Texas look like California.

Northeast

Well Sam, don't judge all of the northeast by Massachussets, thank God. In Vermont, no permit required for concealed carry. Maine and New Hamshire are "shall issue" states, clean record, you get a permit. Maine, no waiting period to buy any gun. I don't know about Connecticut and Rhode Island. New York state has a lot of regulation and New York city is on a par with Massachussets. You could always visit Alaska too, no permit required.

Conneticut isint as bad as other places (mass) takes a while to get the permit but they issue it unless they have a goood reason not to. no waiting period on guns with the permit. you do need the permit to purchase handguns or no sale. two week waiting period for rifles and shotguns without a ccw permit or a hunting license

Permit or not, I wonder if as many people, percentage-wise, carry in Vermont as in the Southeastern States? Regardless of the gun laws, take a good look at the kind of people that folks from NH and Vermont send to the U.S. Congress to pass laws that affect us all.

Let me clarify... refering to Boston (& New York Cities) and Mass. We did make a 3-4 day side trip to VT & NH, some of the most beautiful country & down to earth people in the US.

I keep joking that the dividing line between NH and MA is like West and East Germany.

There's some nice people down there, yes, of course, but in general, it's a free land versus a land that is in no way free. And a lot of people who, for some unfathomable reason, like it that way. Even as they suffer the crime, taxes, incompetent bureaucracy, bad roads, etc. That, or they flee to NH, and then keep voting in ways that destroyed their home state. :barf:

"Hey, I just escaped a burning house! That was lucky! I'm in a new house now. Hey, I want to play with matches now! Ooh, fire!"

Boston's culture has absolutely zero to do with Northern New England. Statist hell down there, versus "Leave us alone" up north where I am.

Vermont and New Hampshire make Texas look like California.

Damn right. $10 for a shall-issue CCW, I've bought guns at yard sales, and you can have all the EBRs, magazines of any capacity, silencers, etc...you want. And crime is low! Funny thing, that.

Here in Ct. it's not as good as N.H. or Vermont. But considering the states we're surrounded by, I'll take what we've got. My one gripe about Ct is that The Auto Ordnance semi version of the Tommygun is blacklisted. Can't own one! Stupid people who watched too many 1930's gangster movies decieded that it was too dangerous. But I can own an AK, or an AR. I don't get it, and I really want one!

Norhteast

One more point on Maine, no permit required to purchase guns: pass the Nics check and walk out with your purchase in 15 minutes. Person to person sales allowed. I have bought an M1 Carbine at a flea market.

SamHouston, making judgements about New England after a trip to Boston is like making a judgement about Texas after a trip to the University district in Austin. We've got more guns than people up here in Maine.

I live in RI. Not too gun-friendly, but you can own one easily enough. Getting my CWP was tough, but I managed. I have a summer home in western Maine. Darn it! I'm moving there when the kids are out of the house. They look at firearms realistically. Got my out of state CWP easily. Not to be a kiss-a*s, but I just love the folks up there, and their attitudes. My neighbors (the few of them there are) walk my land with my blessing. One hunts coyote, and his favorite spot was on my land before I purchased it. So, I said, feel free to keep doing so. He helped me numerous times while I was building the place, even left his house open one weekend while he was away so I could get water while my well was being put in. He keeps an eye on the place all winter. Last spring he came over with a coyote pelt & gave it to my daughter. "I got 'im on yowa dad's laynd, so hea ya' go". It must have cost him a bundle to have it pelted.
All I ask is they not shoot up my belongings, and they don't. They ATV and snowmobile down my paths. This is because these folks showed me the way things should be. Good folks up there, and it shows in the fact that they don't complain when I practice with my longarms (270WSM is loud, but 42+ acres and a friendly attitude goes a long way.
NH was all too happy to give me my non-resident CWP, and cheap too (got all these so I can travel armed). Good folks there, but I only know a few. Don't know VT, but I like what I hear.
MA? Got my non-resident CWP. $100 a YEAR. Before anyone corrects me, that's NON RESIDENT. Don't mind the folks, but what a lousy way of dealing with my rights.

Last edited:
Mainah, the point I was trying to make is that Boston has all the history of starting a "Revolution" yet today it appears would have trouble defending itself in a good fight.

Mainah, the point I was trying to make is that Boston has all the history of starting a "Revolution" yet today it appears would have trouble defending itself in a good fight.

Things change Sam, but I'll bet that they've made a few things at MIT that'll help us in today's good fight.

Don't worry, if the redcoats hit the shores of New England we'll take care of it.

As others have said other states in New England are not like Massachusetts. Even in Massachusetts there are differences. The western & middle counties are vastly different than the Eastern counties that are heavily infulenced by Boston. Boston is a very anti-gun city. But even there many different towns in the eastern area where it is easy to get a LTC. In this state licensing is done on the local level, where it depends on the Chief of Police. In the urban areas licensing is heavily restricted while in the burbs and rural areas it tends to be more relaxed. It all comes down on the CLEO. Northern New England is more gun friendly but that is changing with the influx of New Yorkers from the city, and Boston into Northern New England.

Massachusetts in no where near as bad as New York City. It is not even close. Upstate NY is actually on par with Massachusetts. Alot of people like to say Mass is terrible but they are basing their opinion of Mass gun laws on Boston's know restrictive gun laws. Boston is really its own identy in this state. Overall all the state is not great but there are worse off areas in this country. For example; NYC, California, Hawaii, and Illionis.

Back