North Arkansas Hunters?

Is there anyone who lives near or hunts North Arkansas? I live in the Harrison area, havnt lived here long and am now looking for someone who knows the area better or someone who hunts the Buffalo River WMA. Before the last year I hunted my step fathers land so I havnt had this issue until now really would like to get some info as gun season is approaching fast (opens November 14th) Thank you in advance.

Ouachitas

Can't help you re: Harrison & points north, but I spent a tad over 3 yrs in Hot Springs, and hunted Ouachita NF a great deal. Bear in mind, this was nearly 30 yrs ago......but I found the hunting pressure light, and acres upon acres of land and easy access (2WD) to about everywhere. There was enough game to keep things interesting. This was deer and turkey.

Areas that I recall were Crystal Springs and an overlook nearby, (west of Hot Springs Rt 270?), and Barton Mtn (N., Hwy 7?)

A pal and I also duck hunted Lake Ouachita as well, (he had the dog, I had the boat). We launched either from Crystal Springs, and later, a place I think called "Buckville" which was on the north shore opposite Crystal Springs.

Good times, years back.

That Oauchita national forest has some monsters on it from what I've heard but everyone in that area who doesn't have land hunts it. Same can be said for this buffalo national forest I just don't want to hunt it alone because of this.

search

Good luck in your search. And you're right about monsters..........the biggest shed antler I have ever found, well now that I think about it, the biggest TWO shed antlers I have ever found (two successive spring turkey seasons, '87, 88) were on the Ouachita NF.

I really liked Arkansas........and the Ouachitas.

I love it here but all I can seem to find out is that the Buffalo National Forest is very over hunted and that to even get in and out of the hunting area you are walking within 5-10 yards of other hunters. Doesn't sound worth it to me but it's so close to me. Closest area is about 8-10 miles then 6 down a gravel road...

Back