North American Arms 22 mag mousegun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob S

I work in an office all day, and am required to wear a suit, but I shed the jacket most of the time. I have a North American Arms .22 mag that was given to me as a gift. I realize this is truly a "mouse gun", but sometimes it is all I can get away with carrying. I occasionally carry a J frame smith in an ankle holster, but find it a bit uncomfortable. Any suggestions on loads for the .22 mag. or am I just waisting my time with such a small gun. (I also carry it when my wife and I walk in the evenings... t-shirt and cotton shorts... go figure?)

The best load for the 2" and below barrels is the CCI MaxiMag +V. 1,200fps from the 1&5/8th tube ain't shabby at all.

You've GOT to put in some practice with these boogers. It won't feel right until you've cranked out at least 200 rounds, sometimes more...but at some point it'll "click" and the little sucker will become your "always got it front pocket companion". I hope you also have the .22LR cylinder, this will radically reduce your practice costs. At any given range session, run 50 or so LRs and a couple cylinders of Magnums and it'll never fail ya.

They're really high quality puppies. I have the 4" bull-barrel "MiniMaster" and that critter can plant all five in 5" at 25 yards. I have an old Freedom Arms .22Mag 1.5" barrel 4shot that's more like yours, and I can keep all four in 6" at 7 yards firing one shot per second. You can duplicate that performance with the improved NAA version you've got no prob...

Jim March

I used to carry my 22 mag NAA minirevolver quite a bit when I wore shorts (quite a bit here in South Florida). Then I had what I consider a close call, and really rethought the idea of using the 22 mag for self defense. I ended up getting a Guardian in 32acp to use as a shorts gun and haven't looked back since. There are now four different pocket 32acp guns out there to choose from. Take a look at them, you really do get much more firepower, and it still easily fits in a pocket.

Sorry for getting on the soapbox,
Gino

Bob S,
I used to have a NAA .22LR that I carried in my front pocket in the office. Like you I have to wear a shirt and tie in the office. I practiced with that little gun enough to hit an 8" circle at 3 yards with it consistently. But that little thing is so slow to cock. I then bought a S&W Centennial 642 , .38 spl. that I now carry (at this moment in my pocket while I'm at work). I got used to the 15 ounce weight, and I think you can too. It's easier to shoot, more accurate, and most of all much better stopper than .22LR or .22Mag. By the way, I'm 5'9" and 160lb, no one ever notice the J-frame. I carry a Bianchi speed strip in the other pocket for reload. Give it a try.

Concur with Jim. Sure, there are better packages, but you use what's with you, right?

I have practiced shooting via cocking with the left thumb--it makes a for pretty quick rate of fire. I have found I tend to shoot high with the first shot, one-handed, so the first "apparent" sight picture is about crotch level. I practice stepping back as I recock, having acquired a two-hand, Weaver style presentation as I get "working room".

It works well for me, and I can hit 6" bulls at 7 to 10 yards with the mouse---pills, that's it, pills!

FWIW, Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back