Norinco Trench Shotgun

Tidewater_Kid

Well I got bored and this happened. I took my riot version and made a trench version. I really like the heatshield I got from Numrich.

TK

Attachments

• Norinco-wBayonet.jpg
    Norinco-wBayonet.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 342
  • Norinco-97T-1.jpg
    Norinco-97T-1.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 276
Good work with some nice touches. The bayonet is long enuff to run through a parade of an opposing force and then blow them off with one shot. :)

The long bayonet is a nice correct touch. WWI trench guns were at a disadvantage in bayonet fighting, because the gun is short,even with the long bayonet, compared to the rifles of the enemy and their bayonets. Still a handy thing to have at need.

I'm not certain, but I believe that even when we went to the shorter bayonet for our rifles, we kept the long bayonet as the correct issue to go with the shotgun.

A lot of people questioned the long bayonet, "why use one twice as long as the enemy is thick??"

Until they learned that when you use a rifle with bayonet, REACH matters.

Going to the shorter blade during WWII was done because it was recognized that while still important enough to train troops to do, bayonet to bayonet fighting was on the decrease, compared to WWI.

The trend has continued to this day, bayonets are useful as knives, and for herding civilians, much, much more than for bayonet vs. bayonet fighting today.

Maybe the Marines still train some with it, I don't know. I do know that when I went through Army basic training (in the mid 70s) our bayonet training consisted of a DI holding up a bayonet, "This is the M7 Bayonet!!", then tossing it to stick in the ground at his feet, and saying, "You will not use it!!!" ;)

If you want to add a little more "correct" look to your trench gun, I know a guy who got one of the Ordnance Corp's "Flaming bomb" stamps, I believe you can still buy them. As long as you don't try and pass off the gun as authentic original, its not fraud, its a "reproduction".

Maybe the Marines still train some with it, I don't know.

There are a few bayonet techniques taught in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program and some different rifle techniques to get someone to let go of your rifle, but I can't really say its emphasized outside of basic.

I thought about the stamp, but I didn't want anyone to think that I was faking anything.

I purchased the bayonet years ago for my M1917 Eddystone. I had not realized how expensive these had gotten. Even the reproductions are $75 to $100!

TK

Looks nice and if I may say so intimidating as all heck! Where did you get the bayonet mount from? I've been looking for one for a project.

As a Brit, my rifle was an Enfield .303 Bolt action. I was a conscript, 1954 to 1956, made in Canada, a tack driver! I was the first Soldier issued this Rifle, me and the Armour cleaned all the gunk off it.

But the Bayonet? was a round spike, about 10" long. Feeding some one the brass butt plate was effective? Ended up with a 9mm Sten Gun. In Germany, on Schemes, no ammo! I did have a very sharp Jack Knife. It had a spike too!

Looks real nice, I was going to do the same thing to mine but sold it to a friend that wanted it more than me.

The trend has continued to this day, bayonets are useful as knives, and for herding civilians, much, much more than for bayonet vs. bayonet fighting today.

Maybe the Marines still train some with it, I don't know. I do know that when I went through Army basic training (in the mid 70s) our bayonet training consisted of a DI holding up a bayonet, "This is the M7 Bayonet!!", then tossing it to stick in the ground at his feet, and saying, "You will not use it!!!"

My 16.1" Mini-G runs an Old School bayonet. It's very sharp. Worked the edge hard to get it that way ...

Zeds and Commies fear it. Alt-Left liberals too. No doubt it's on their very long "Next-to-Ban-list."

Bayonets matter ... They just do.

Back